Blown fuses on KHorns

Yes, I had it krunk up. Monster loud. Whole house shaking loud. As far as I could tell, they blew at the same time. I have 50 of 16 guage zip wire to each. If I had 14 guage or 12, would they maybe not have blown? How does that work? I know the 16 is too small but if I don't push it to the limit, what does it matter? ie: 16g at 50% OK

14g at 75% OK

12g at 100%OK

The size wires going to the speaker would not make any difference. It is the amount of current going through the fuse that matters. If anything, the larger wire would decrease the resistance in the circuit, that would increase the current and blow the fuse sooner. If you are driving you amp into clipping, meaning that you are trying to get it to produce a higher voltage than it is capable of creating, the tops of the waveforms will be cut off at the max voltage the amp can produce. The resulting flat part looks to the crossover like high frequency so it sends the entire signal to the tweeter. The tweeter cant handle that much power. At this point one of two things happens. The fuse blows protecting the tweeter voice coil or the voice coil blows protecting the fuse. Bill is correct, if you keep running a clipped signal into your speakers you will eventually burn out the tweeters.

My woofer fuse blew under completely normal circumstances of less than a watt, so there is a great deal of uncertainty in the quality of the fuses.

I removed mine completely by jumpering around the fuse holder, and as an added bonus, the bass/midrange frequencies cleaned up quite a bit.

I have decided that the fuses are while not-quite-useless more of a problem than a help. I chose to get rid of mine.

DM2.gif

I'm with you 3D!!!

Some spend a big wad of cash for super premium, hand woven by virgins, speaker cables with gold terminal connections only to send the finst audio signal we could possibly obtain thru a tiny strand of standard filament (whatever gague to match the amp rating)to sometimes standard 18 gague wire to the x-over and speaker components. I guess the wire bit just makes some folks feel good?

i agree that buying expensive wire is silly.i use electrical wire 100% copper at the lower cost i can find.

the more large the diameter of the wire is the less resistance it have.

to make it esy to understand the total resistance of a wire is its resistance x its length

the fuse wire is very thin but it has a lenght of one centimeter.

the speaker wire have a lenght of several meters.

putting a very thin wire on several meter to connect your amp to your speaker have not the same consequences as puting a very thin wire on a centimeter.

my english is not very good.was it clear enough?