weekly Recommendatons by Members July 19

thebes

Good work folks, this little ongoing effort to feed the music machine continues to grow. Several excellent recommendations last week and over a 100 people stopped by to give it a look.

Rules are simple: Name of Individual/Group, Title,type of

music as best you can (rock, classic etc.) and wheather its's a cd, lp etc.

My offering for his week is:

Doug MacLacleod, "Come to Find" a cd put out by Audiotquest. Acoustic blues by a master. Includes a guest appearance by Charlie Musselwhite on two tracks and is very, very well recorded.

I just got done listening to the Wynton Marsails Quartet: The Magic Hour.

This is a very good album by one of the best Trumpet players alive today!

Contains guest vocal apperances by Diane Reevs(what an Amazing voice, and I am not usually that fond of jazz vocals), and Bobby McFerrin.

Anyhow, Highly reccomended.

M

Being a long-time fan of Steely Dan, I recommend the latest CD by Donald F-a-gen, entitled "Kamakiriad." It has that distinctive Steely Dan sound, perhaps even moreso, ironically, than the latest Donald F-a-gen/Walter Becker (who are Steely Dan) release "Two Against Nature," although I enjoy it as well. The style might be classified as "rock/jazz."

Get this!!! The BB filters out the first three letters of the name ***en, which means I must spell it out F-A-G-E-N to get around the censor. What a laugh! Whoever designed that filter is a flaming f-a-g-e-n.2.gif It reminds me of the news story a couple of years ago when some school computers would not allow kids to get internet info on the upcoming SuperBowl, because it had "XXX" in the title.

Trapt - Self titled - Modern/Alternative Rock

This is not a new release by any means, but what really sucked me in on this CD was the extremely tight bass. This is definitely a case where the drummer rules the roost. Excellent production, very clean, withstands high volume levels. Yeeee!

I've been listening to 3 brand new releases for the last few weeks.

1-Nick Drake-Made To Love Magic. This is a collection of remastered(for first time in stereo) tracks from his Time Of No Reply collection of rarities along with a newly discovered track. When a prior album was remastered recently the master reels were left to run a few minutes past what was always thought of as the last song and voila an unheard in 30 years song plays. The track is very Pink Moon sounding and is a welcome addition for any Nick fan.

2-The Orb-Bicycles & Tricycles-First album since the ill-received Cydonia. I already like this more than The Orb's last 2 albums EXCEPT for the second track which features some UK rapper?! If you've ever listened to The Orb you'll understand. They're a pioneering ambient act that have more in common with Brian Eno than Ludacris. They should have left that track off.

3-Wagon Christ-Sorry I Make You Lush-Absolute genius from the twisted thrift store record collector Luke Vibert. Mish-mash of funk stabs, twisted/manipulated breakbeats and cheeky vocal samples. His mid-90's release Throbbing Pouch is a classic of the "trip-hop" genre. GREAT bass and basslines.

Speaking of trip-hop, my recommendation of the week for the 'under 30' crowd is the cd "Londinium" by the band "Archive." It's a very overlooked but excellent cd. In my opinion this cd surpasses anything put out by the likes of Portishead or Massive Attack, etc.

Sonata Arctica - Winter Hearts Guild. Some excellent power metal here. Not as "epic" as something along of the lines of Nightwish, though. This is definitly more straight up metal with some melodic/syphonic elements, though. Still a great power metal album.