got the rcx-4

the highs are excellent. I really got the rsx's to improve the midrange but the highs area actually the biggest improvement. The ultra tweeters are a bit dull compared to the rsx's and can not reach nearly the same amplitude. They are very crisp and apparent much like the rest of the reference line.

911, i have ran the rsx-4's off an amp and compared it to the ultra. There was not much difference. the ultra is plenty for the little rsx's and I did not even notice much of a quality improvement either. I think i got a little more bass out of the amp but it was negligible.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats good to hear that the highs are really good

also the i liked how you hooked up the rsx to both a sep. amp and the ultras to compare the quality of sound you get from both. its good to hear the ultras amp doesnt sound liek crap compared with sep. amps

actually, they both can produce a lot of output out of the SWS, however with the link, the sws will not go louder than what you have your ultra set you. I think it pretty much works like this, if your ultra is set to 0, than your your sws will be at aprox. ~0 if you turn it to max volume. The link is nice because i dont even use the control pod, i just unplug it and use the bass setting on my ultra. I keep it pretty low to. never hihger than 0. If you unplug the sws pod, the volume defaults to whatever it would be if the pod was turned up to max. And thats how you want it if you are using the sws link.

If you use the minijacks you will have a much greater control over the volume of the sws itself. But it wont try and match the output of hte ultra. If you want to see what the sws can do without the ultra, then you can use the minijacks and crank the sws up. You can even turn your ultra's off and just have the bass of the sws if you want to test it or whatever. I like the link. I dont have to mess with the sws volume and if i want the bass to blast, i just turn up the bass on my ultra pod.

hope that helped.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still testing the speakers tonight but I think I like the RSX4's all around. The 5's are nice if you sit
a distance back from your computer. The 5's have nice low end but the 4's for the distance are crisper
and I get a nice mid/bass sound from the 4's that I do not hear on the 5's. Almost like the 5's are overkill
for my situation. I think I will keep testing for the weekend and will post a picture later tonight of my setup

:)

Well I never took a picture of the setup with the RSX5's cause I felt they where overkill for my setup but they were really nice. The 4's will fit on my desk and I will be able to move them around a little more then the 5's plus the bass won't won't be over powering. Once I receive the replacement 4's I will take a picture of the whole setup.

If anyone is considering purchasing the 5's I would consider the things I didn't which was how close will you be to the 5's and will they be too much

thanks to all for your posts and info... really helps :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been doing the rsx4 vs rsx5 thing myself so your insights are very helpful. I haven't been able to see the speakers in person, but I know the 5's will be too big. I have one question though - is the base on the rcx-4 removeable ? I would like to set it under my monitor but I think with the base attached it will sit too high.

Hi, I've been doing the rsx4 vs rsx5 thing myself so your insights are very helpful.  I haven't been able to see the speakers in person, but I know the 5's will be too big.  I have one question though - is the base on the rcx-4 removeable ?  I would like to set it under my monitor but I think with the base attached it will sit too high.

Yes, this was my worry as well :) good to see someone feels the same and I do. I have great news... YES it is removeable and I have put mine behind my 24in LCD monitor. I could move it out to the front but the way my desk is designed it think it would look weird. I can here it pretty good with out the stand. Trust me when I tell you I made the right move changing to the RSX4's, I don't regret it at all. I would of liked the idea of the 5's but for positioning for the computer and where I sit they didn't make sense. There is plenty of mid bass and crisp highs for my taste. I bet if Klipsch made a 4 channel amp to use with this with more watts along with a power sub they would be amazing.

That would be a neat idea if Klipsch could come up with that. Buy any set of speakers from the company and pair it with a 4 channel amp that can be hooked up to the PC with an external pod volume control or small remote. Then pair that with any one of their powered subs..... SWEETNESS!!!!

One can only dream!!