O/T: Dish/DirecTV Receiver Heat

dodger

Hello:

As Cable Tv Rates hit $55.00 + for Standard service, no premium, no extra cost digital, decided to go to Dish TV. Their new Super Dish (snow won't collect) with two (2) Television Tuner, digital, same number of channels $24.95/month, free installation. Have to cut costs - no brainer.

Looking at the dual TV Receiver, it was EXTREMELY hot to the touch. Talked to a friend that has Direct TV and a two (2) set receiver he noticed the same thing. Called local company and 800 number - normal, make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

As I know some friends with HT they have just had the installation receiver/tuner in out of the way area hidden with HT components. They checked, extremely hot.

Posted as an FYI. No problems with receiver/tuner, better picture quality. Fan added, cool to touch now.

dodger

Yep, mine runs hot. Even when it is not "on" it is still hot. Not burn your hand hot, but pretty damn warm. Can't beat the picture and sound quality compared to cable and digital cable, they are awful! I went over to friends house that has the digital cable and it was grainy and nasty looking. I pay like $55 but I get a ton of channels plus the Starz/Encore channels.

Nice thing is if I want to spend more, when I can, I can double the number of channels and not double the price.

A one cost for a cheap fan still keeps me way under the Cable Bill. If I had wanted to go to digital cable, with the boxes and remotes and evtra cost for service I would have been over $75.00/month.

It's funny about every third commercial on any channel here is for Time-Warner Cable, then we have Road Runner ads, Time Warner owns a good number of the channels but they complain that station fees are rising so they have to raise the cost.

My street is one mile long - exactly. Yesterday after therapy I went down the full length and counted over half now with either Dish or Direct TV satellites. Methinks cable's marketing and cost are not right.

My opinion only.

dodger

----------------

On 7/22/2004 1:14:33 PM dodger wrote:

Looking at the dual TV Receiver, it was EXTREMELY hot to the touch. Talked to a friend that has Direct TV and a two (2) set receiver he noticed the same thing. Called local company and 800 number - normal, make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

----------------

I have an UltimateTV unit that I had for the past four years and it runs friggan hot, especially considering that including the dual tuners, there is also a 7200RPM 120gig harddrive in the unit. UltimateTV was Microsoft's attempt at the PVR/TiVo market, and included DirecTV. Before getting the UltimateTV unit, I had a regular "2nd Generation" DirecTV reciever (I had DirecTV for a good 6 years or so).

I also notiect that my XM Radio reciever in my car throws out some heat. In fact, I had to replace my Alpine head unit since it crapped up last week. Fortunatly, the local dealer did a one-to-one swap with no money out of my pocket. I'll see how this unit fairs. Admittedly, the Alpine head unit that I had was a very new technology. It was one of the first head units that had XM built in, instead of having to get a seperate module.

As to why these things generate so much heat? My only guess is that in order to process those digital signals, they need to do some serious processing. As a result, they need fast DACs, which means heat! Much like the CPU in your machine. The faster, the hotter. For all intents and purposes, these things are computers (and hell, mine even has a friggan harddrive in it!). If I am not mistaken, these are equivelent to a about a Pentium II/300MHZ machine in processing power. According to this site the TiVo actually has an IBM PowerPC chip for the CPU as well as a hardware MPEG-2 codec chips. I have no idea what is in my UltimateTV unit, though, since I never really looked.

These are surprisingly sophistaced units, and it is amazing that they work as well as they do.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I have been a DirecTV subscriber for a friggan long time, and I absolutly love it! I have no plans on giving up my DirecTV service anytime soon. It is funny to hear my neighber complain about her cable bill all the time. I keep telling her that she should really look into getting DirecTV.

Also to add, yes, you will want to make sure your digital satellite reciever has plenty of "breathing" room, epsecially the more sophistacted units such as the ones with harddrive/digital recording capablities.

I have a Dish PVR-508 that tends to run hot. It has 6 inches open above it, but my equipment hutch has glass doors that I keep closed.

I have added a 12 volt fan to cool my new Sunfire amp and other components. The fan is run off of a 12 volt transformer that has six settings. I am running on the next to the lowest setting which is 4.5 volts. I cannot hear the fan with the system running. Total cost was about $35 for the fan, transformer and wiring.

Heat kills components when it gets too high. I want the amps to last a long time and this seems like the easiest and cheapest solution in the long run. The Dish PVR runs cooler to the touch now as a side benefit.

Bill

PS: The 3 inch 12 v. fan and 800 mili-amp 3-12 v. transformer are available at just about any Rat Shack. B