Scott 299

tillmbil

----------------

On 7/25/2004 7:44:11 AM tillmbil wrote:

I have 8 hours to make a decision. There is a SCott 299D in absolutley mint condition on E-Bay. Current bid is at $455. I already have one but this ine is pristine and I could then sell mine.

Decision: Should I buy this one and sell mine because of condition? My currnet one is ruff, but Craig has rebuilt it?

Question: Can you remove these faceplates easily and replace them? My current one has a horrible looking faceplate.

----------------

Well its about a hour to go and I see that the price is starting to go nutZ!

----------------

On 7/25/2004 2:29:30 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 7/25/2004 2:08:02 PM JjR wrote:

and I see that the price is starting to go nutZ!

----------------

Price is relative. There are many amps that sell in the thousands that can't begin to compare.

----------------

Yup and there are many less that can! Bottom line is common sence and whats your wallet9.gif

17 minutes left, sitting at $585! Another $350 to rebuild, plus shipping (3 legs), someone will easily have a grand in this amp before it should be used, but that is still a great sound for the money IMO, especially when you consider how clean that particular unit seems to be.

Man that is one perty scott 299d. Scott must have made more than one model 299d. I thought that all the Scott 299d came with a powered center channel, this one here does not have it as far as I can tell.Anybody have any input on this?

----------------

On 7/25/2004 6:31:57 PM arfz28 wrote:

Man that is one perty scott 299d. Scott must have made more than one model 299d. I thought that all the Scott 299d came with a powered center channel, this one here does not have it as far as I can tell.Anybody have any input on this?
----------------

arfz28

Look at the speaker binding posts on the bottom row center 2 screws are the hookups for the powered center channel.

Craig

"How is the 299?"

It is fantastic! So smooth, so much detail, yet with such authority. It really brings out the best in the '79 Cornwalls. I think Craig said he had about 40 hrs on the new caps when he brought it to Indy, so it was still breaking in when I got it and it seemed like it kept improving for the first couple of weeks (maybe just my imagination, but every day I thought it sounded better than the day before, for a while). The imaging on this amp is incredible. The phono pre-amp is excellent (listening to a lot of vinyl lately since I acquired a Thorens 125 from Sheltie Dave), and CDs never sounded better at my house. Craig did a nice job on this amp.

I tried running the powered center channel into my vertical Cornwall, but it puts out nearly the same dB level as the right and left (probably not a problem if I was running a less sensitive center speaker). I recently picked up a 99B which I will connect to the center line out on the 299D to give me volume control. I tried it briefly and it seemed to improve the soundstage and enlarge the "ideal" listening position in the room, but I'm sending it off to Craig for rebuild.

Thanks for asking,

David

I recently picked up a 99B which I will connect to the center line out on the 299D to give me volume control. I tried it briefly and it seemed to improve the soundstage and enlarge the "ideal" listening position in the room, but I'm sending it off to Craig for rebuild.

++++++++++++++++

I have cconsidered the same concept for the "99"; but eeally do not room for a center.

SOunds like another Scott convert!

Good luck

Rick