THEBES - how were the twins?

hwatkins

Well Henry it didnt start out so well.

I did my usual heavy date preparations: showered, pomenaded all three of my hairs, slapped on a little ode de colonie then slipped into my middle age bald man trys to look cool duds: silk black t-shirt, linen/nylon black pants, black penny loafers and a medium charcoal gray Armani jacket. Rejected the gold neck chain at the last minute but I did slip on the rolex and pinky ring for just a dash of color.

Collected the girls and headed out to a wonderful little French restaurant with excellent service and warm ambience.

Now this was a bold choice on my part since the gals favorite restaurant is something called Pappys Polka House and Sausage Emporium. It worked out ok though. With my guidance we went light on the dishes with heavy sauces and, of course, I kept them from ordering the escargot. The usual cocktails, and only one bottle of Dom to keep them from getting too frisky too quickly. I didnt even grimace when Tickles exclaimed, Oh, the bubbles tickle my nose. (Fellow gourmands, just how often must we listen to that insipid line!)

Our next stop was for a movie and here is where I made a serious tactical error. I took them to an art house cinema playing a French movie (I think it was called Les Glories de Pomes Frits). Well Tickles reading skills are minimal at best and the subtitles gave her no amount of trouble. Tawny, on the other hand is like a cat and needs to stretch and found the seats confining and the pacing of the movie entirely too slow.

Sensing this I tried out the old yawn and end up with my arms around their shoulder trick, and they didnt seem to mind this at all. But, then I got a little carried away and tried the old popcorn bag trick and this turned out to be a very bad idea.

After the movie ended I could tell they were upset because of the way they speeded up when we walked back to the car and the furious staccato of their stiletto heals on the pavement.

I went into full damage control mode and started telling them every hoary old joke I could think of. You know: the old Bear Walks Into a Bar, A Three-egged Dog Walks into a Bar and my best shot: Pat the Postmans Last Day on the Job. I throw in a few funny faces and the mood lightens enough that they agree to go back to my place for a nightcap.

So, we settle in I pour them up some sweet concoction that masks industrial strength liquor. Armed with all the suggestions from our fellow members I could gather up at short notice I head over to the changer.

First up Metallica. The ladies immediately slap their hands to their ears, and although I like the interesting view this creates I can see Im in trouble again. Sorry, wrong record I say and flip on Zappa. Their hands never leave their ears. I cover with must be the candlelight and slip on some Samba. Oh yeah, now were getting somewhere. They start to sway. Pretty soon Ive got some tango on and were doing a little dirty dancing. Foreigner, Prince and Annie Lennox make brief appearances but dont do the trick. The Police do just fine and were now getting a little hot and sweaty so its time for my big move. Using a little Sugar Daddy as a transition I pull out the really big guns and drop the really big guy, oh yeah, Barry White on the player.

A few beats in and they start to get that dreamy light in their eyes, you know the one, so I

So here it is Monday afternoon, the vitamins, aspirin and soaks in the tub have helped a little but Im still really beat up. At least the blue tint is gone from my vision. Now if I can only get that smirk off of my face.

Details. Nothing wrong with details. I thought "the furious staccato of their stiletto heals on the pavement" was pretty good. Maybe I have a future writing cheap detective novels.