Back Surround (7.1) RB-25 or RS-25 ?

Kenstr

Currently I have RS-35's on the sides and an RC-35 in the back center (6.1).

The RC-35 is moving to HT#2. I am thinking about putting RB-25's in the back to go 7.1

What makes more sense for 7.1 - RS's in the back and sides or RB's all around or a combo of RS and RB ?

I too am going to 7.1 in the near future.

With the RB's in the back, how far apart should they be from each other ???

I've read that they should be right next to each other (within a foot or so) and I've read they should be inline with the fronts - your opinions and experiences ???

----------------

On 7/29/2004 4:35:47 PM john4618 wrote:

I too am going to 7.1 in the near future.

With the RB's in the back, how far apart should they be from each other ???

I've read that they should be right next to each other (within a foot or so) and I've read they should be inline with the fronts - your opinions and experiences ???----------------

The "right next to each other" part doesn't make much sense. If you're going to do that, just go w/ 6.1. This link shows the DD recommended setup.

John

I agree, putting the rear centers close to each other makes no sense, especially since the seventh speaker is just a mirror image of the sixth speaker. Yeah, saying you have a "7.1" may sound more impressive than a "6.1" but if it does not make real musical or HT sense to do so, why waste the money on the extra speaker? Put it into better interconnects, room treatments, etc. On the other hand, if you have a larger room along the rear, go for it.

I would also vote for the RB-25s over the RS-25s.

Carl.

----------------

On 7/30/2004 12:04:19 PM cjgeraci wrote:

I agree, putting the rear centers close to each other makes no sense, especially since the seventh speaker is just a mirror image of the sixth speaker. Yeah, saying you have a 7.1 may sound more impressive than a 6.1.....

----------------

The reason for going 7.1 has nothing to do with a more impressive array of speakers. It has do do with the very reason 7.1 came about. I couldn't find the article at dolby but I snipped this from thread over on avsforum.

---------

The main drawback for using a sixth rear center channel is a psycoacoustic phenonenon known as "rear-front reversal".

It seems that we human beings are not good when hearing sounds coming from the back, particularly sounds located exactly behind our head. The rear-front reversals phenomenon causes that a sound that is coming behind our ears is perceived as if it were coming directly from the front.

This phenomenon can be easily prevented using two seperated rear surround speakers located behind our head.

...snip...

The reasons for seven rather than six rear speakers have been discussed repeatedly--a search will yield a lot of information about front-back reversal effects. It's the reason why THX EX, Dolby EX, DTS ES, as well as proprietary processing from Lexicon and Meridian ALL specify the use of dual rears. A single rear center speaker is psychoacoustically flawed.

---------

This is just about what I remember reading at dolby expliaining why 7.1 came to be.

Then, if the main remedy to the psychological effect you described is to use two "separated" rear center speakers in order to avoid a listener having to hear a speaker(s) directly behind his/her ears, you just answered your own earlier question.

It is better to put a decent distance between both of your rear centers (vs next to each other).

Enjoy.

Carl.