#1 when you graduated

colterphoto1

Okay, neat idea, but who listened to music when they were born?!?!?

I'm a firm believer that we're basically stuck for the rest of our lives with the music we, um, how shall I say, 'came of age to'.

Lacking a more distinct date, how bout what was number one the week you graduated from High School?? We probably stand a 99% chance of actually recognizing these artists/songs. You may search the whole week- pick a good one!

If you didn't graduate HS, what are you doing on this Forum?!?!??

Michael

----------------

On 8/1/2004 2:47:10 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I'm a firm believer that we're basically stuck for the rest of our lives with the music we, um, how shall I say, 'came of age to'.

Michael

----------------

I hope the hell you are wrong. ACTUALLY I KNOW YOU ARE WRONG.

I still love some of the music that "I came of age to" but I hope to never flounder about without moving forward.

I "graduated" several times during the late 70s/early 80s and the thought of settling into the styles offered then is stifiling to say the least.

I like to experience new music/new sounds...and I always try to give something a "shot" even if it turns out to be not the "cat's meow"...

Clu

1.gif

With A Little Luck by Paul McCartney & Wings. June 1, 1978.

Night Fever by The Bee Gees. May 1, 1978

I was more likely listening to what we called "Disco Dead" when they came out with "Shakedown Street" in '78. We were horrified at first thinking the Dead had gone disco until we realized how good the lp really was.

High school graduation date doesn't quite count. More high school itself.

In high school we had Tommy and Sgt. Pepper in heavy rotation. Who's Next and Abbey Road came up to speed near the end of high school. CSN and CSN&Y were in there. Sounds of Silence, Bookends, Bridge over Troubled Water.

I could add a lot more. Airplane.

Maybe it is because of my age. Still, these are to me the classics of Rock and newer generations discover them.

Gil

----------------

On 8/1/2004 2:47:10 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Lacking a more distinct date, how bout what was number one the week you graduated from High School??

----------------

the U.S. No.1 on the 12th June 1988 was... One More Try by

George Michael

I hated that song! In fact, I never really did like George Micheal as a whole.

the U.K. No.1 on the 12th June 1988 was... With A Little Help From My Friends / She's Leaving Home by Wet Wet Wet / Billy Bragg With Cara Tivey

I have no idea who the hell that is!

By the time I was graduated H.S., I was well into listening to power metal, including a lot of the popular "hair bands" of the time. I was also heavily into Rush (Oh boy, tommorrow evening - at the Nisson Pavilion - I cannot wait!), Yes, Pink Floyd, Styx, Asia, and the like. Forget that "poppy" crap that was making the charts during that time.

• Moderators

----------------

On 8/2/2004 2:32:00 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

the U.S. No.1 on the 12th June 1988 was... One More Try by

George Michael

I hated that song! In fact, I never really did like George Micheal as a whole.

----------------

You and me both!! 1.gif

I'd like to point out that in the late '60 and early '70 in the New York City area . . . "battle lines were being drawn." This was between AM and FM.

WABC AM was the powerhouse top 10 with e.g. Cousin Bruce Morrow. On a sweltering summer day you could go to any mom and pop diner in the five boroughs on lunch hour for a hot dog, and there was WABC blasting out of a cheap table top radio. Motown, Love is Blue, Bubble Gum Rock, ads for Raceway Park (fabulous funny cars), and even Sinatra. The 45 RPM crowd.

At the same time WNEW was the avant guard FM Album Oriented Rock station. Much, much more cool. That which would these days be called "classic rock". Even some Chopin as a bumper.

The point is that what was #1 depended on what you tuned to. There were stacks of waxs from the back of the racks, or the more evocative, Sounds of Silence.

Fun to remember.

Gil