Tweeter selection with khorn

Guy Landau

Once upon a time I tried to get a replacement tweeter for my LaScalas because I was not happy with the high frequencies of the speakers. I worked with a local stereo shop and went through about a dozen drivers and a lot of time. None could come close to matching the output of the original LaScala tweeter.

I suspect you may run into the same thing.

By the way, it turned out to be the room acoustics that caused the problems with the highs. I learned a valuable lesson.

Mike.

I am contemplating the same thing and also thought about the T-350's. I have been told that they are the same as the T-35 except slightly more efficient. I too have the ALK's.

I think what really helps the speakers is getting rid of those mid frequency horns and drivers, but now to look at the tweeters.

Guy,

I just tried the JBL 2405H's in my Khorns!

They are BETTER than the K77M's or Alnico

T-35a's. They are the only reasonably priced tweeter that I found with specs that pretty much match the Klipsch requirements:

6.5kHz-21.5kHz, 105 dB/1W/1M, and 8 ohms

Retail = $306 each JBL Pro site

Actual dealer price = $229 each

Yeah, I know ideally you should cross at 5500-6000Hz , but I hear no problems. This is a very nicely made compression horn tweeter.

Sounds nice and sweet and open, just lovely with female voice, strings, high hats, etc. I found it had decent dispersion qualities. The JBL blends seamlessly with mids and lows to sound like it's a two-way system, even though I mount it above my Khorn.

MarkF..Did you see that "Raven" makes a model R-3 Ribbon which handles the mids and highs!

Raven model R-3, 60# each!

500hz-30kHz, 99 dB sens./1W/1M

Price = $1650 each

Really not that bad a price. Just get a Klipscorn base, add the R-3 and Bi-amp. Wow, this COULD make for a great two-way system!

http://www.zalytron.com/

-Ken

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by guy landau:

Hi folks, I wonder if anyone ever tried other tweeters with their khorns etc. and if so,which gave the best result.I'm thinking about buying ev t-350's ,any comments? Thanks Guy.

Hi Guy,

I have been using these tweeters now for 25 years and I am still very pleased with them! I feel they are much better than the stock K77. The EV T-350 measures slightly better than the K77 or EV T-35 but its sound is MUCH better.

------------------

ELSO