JJ Tesla EL 84s

mark1101

Anyone try these out yet?

I just tossed a matched quad into my Scott 299 a couple of hours ago. So far, very nice! Improved detail in both extreme lows and highs, and passages of high emphasis just jump right out at you crisp and clean. Great 3D music. It seems like they really tightened up the amp, like it responds quicker and seems to have more overhead. The corns sound just fantastic.

I put the EL 84s in my 299, which should really have 7189s. I biased a hair cooler, and everything seems just fine for now. I Don't know if this is a good idea for those without full bias adjustment.

For the price I'm not too worried really, and I recommend these when your NOS Telefunkens and Amperex Bugle Boys wear out, or when you are just looking for some new EL-84s.

Very very nice (for now).9.gif

Craig, right now I'm at .26. I will take your advice and go down some more. Thanks

Lynn, I also put 2 matched pair of JJ ECC 83s in my LK-72, and it is playing better than it ever has as well. At the same time I put in some EH 7591, monster size valves. They are OK, but I will probably replace them with the JJs once I hear how the first production run performs. They are physically just too big.

Arfz, I believe I had a matched quad of Sovtech Russians 7189 equivalents in the 299 (Craig would know). They were not too shabby by the way. The amp really sounded VERY good before I made the change. I did not really need any new tubes. But the JJs have an "almost NOS" sound to them. They really increased the depth of the sound stage. I was just trying them out, and I am glad I did. If I didn't have some Amperex Bugle Boys in my 222, I'd toss a quad in that unit as well, immediately. I think they sound that good.