Bose 901s

joshnich

I have the chance to pick up a pair of Bose 901s model5s for 125 bucks. They are in perfect condition. I have not heard this pair. I do remember that when they came out they cost over a grand and lots of people thought they were the t*ts. Not that I need another pair of speakers but if they are well thought of I might jump on them. I see they go for considerably more on ebay.

Josh

If the foam is in good shape and they come with the EQ, then you have a good buy. I mean even if you don't like them, you can always turn around and sell them on eBay without losing $. You'd probably even stand to make a few bucks.

The series VI have been out for a few years. My neighbor bought a pair several years ago. Like him, you'll need an extremely high powered SS amp to make them sound their best. His is 250 WPC and he says that he needs a lot more power? IMHO the 901's put out an enormous amount of sound for their size, but are a far cry from Klipsch soundwise. But, to each his own.

Worthless without the EQ. No EQ = BAD sound.

I had a pair of the Series II once. Loud. Very LOUD. Big sound stage, but no imaging, IMO, even WITH the EQ. Maybe my room was too small. They are worth the listen. Perfect for hanging in a large rec room.

The EQ goes for around $100 on eBay.

Hi All,

Here's what I did with the 901's I picked up back in April for about $75.00, they were part of a package. I sold the stands for $75, the EQ for $100, and the speakers for $150. The foam was shot on mine and they knew that before purchasing them. I put all of it on eBay with Buy It Nows and it was all sold within 12 hours, the speakers didn't last an hour. Maybe it has something to do with having all positives(1200 ), anyway there's a huge market out there for Bose stuff. Personally I'm not impressed with it. The speakers were the hardest to ship but I have a friend that owns a farm supply and sells animal medicine in which he gets in huge boxes with a styrofoam cooler inside each box. All I had to do was shave about 1/4" off of side, of the styrofoam of course, and it was a perfect fit. The guy raved over the packaging, he said I should be selling my packing skills. Anyway good luck. Be sure to check the completed auctions and see what they're going for at the moment if you do go the eBay route.

Grateful

----------------

On 8/13/2004 6:01:55 PM Grateful11 wrote:

Hi All,

Here's what I did with the 901's I picked up back in April for about $75.00, they were part of a package. I sold the stands for $75, the EQ for $100, and the speakers for $150. The foam was shot on mine and they knew that before purchasing them. I put all of it on eBay with Buy It Nows and it was all sold within 12 hours, the speakers didn't last an hour. Maybe it has something to do with having all positives(1200 ), anyway there's a huge market out there for Bose stuff. Personally I'm not impressed with it. The speakers were the hardest to ship but I have a friend that owns a farm supply and sells animal medicine in which he gets in huge boxes with a styrofoam cooler inside each box. All I had to do was shave about 1/4" off of side, of the styrofoam of course, and it was a perfect fit. The guy raved over the packaging, he said I should be selling my packing skills. Anyway good luck. Be sure to check the completed auctions and see what they're going for at the moment if you do go the eBay route.

Grateful

----------------

From what I have seen on Ebay, you didnt get near top dollar for either the Speakers of the EQ. Revcent V's have gone for 365.00

Josh

----------------

On 8/13/2004 7:56:59 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

My boss at our old PA company made new hires do the following story problem.

If you have a pair of Klipsch LaScalas hooked up to Crown DC300, how many Bose 901 cabinets and how many thousands of watts would it take to equal the maximum decibel level?

----------------

well, being that the La's (current model, anyway) have a maximum dB output of 121dB....

I could probably extract the same volume out of 4 901's with 300 total watts of RMS power (as a friend of mine once did in his living room)

It would still sound like bose crapola, but you asked for a volume comparison, not a sound quality comparison.

You'd need an active 3-way crossover and at least 15 pairs of 901's, plus many thousands of watts of amplification, to generate a passable 50-20Khz +/- 3dB frequency range.