RF-7 crossovers

Deang

Dean,

My equipment is listed under my profile. I use an RC-7 with an RSW-15 for all my listening. The RSW-15 is set to moderate volume and is NOT corner loaded. I cross the system at 80 Hz with all speakers set to small. (If it was an all RF-7 system, I would use a 50 Hz crossover. My receiver has a global crossover, so there is only one crossover for all speakers run as small.)

My listening is 70/30 movies/music. Virtually all of my music listening is multi-channel SACD or DVD-A via i.link. My receiver has superb DACs and near zero jitter, so I use it in preference to any perpheral. There is not a sinle record in the house, although I do have many CDs for the cars that I play from time to time.

Music consists of classic rock, classical and movie sound tracks with a little jazz thrown in to spice things up. Most of my SACDs are Telarcs. SACD re-mixes sound like crap on my system. I can hear a major qualitative difference in the Telarc SACDs. Chesky sounds like crud in comparison.

With the new Sunfire amp, my RF-7s produce outstanding bass. When I played "Master and Commander", the cannon fire sounded so real that I was ready to duck. The only weakness in the Sunfire is that it adds a very faint hiss to the system that is not audible at the listening positions. The strength of the Sunfire amp is its ability to drive low impedances down to 2 ohms.

My receiver does acoustic room correction that is excellent. RTA analysis of a Pioneer 49 with RF-7s shows nearly flat room response with a slight positive hump in the mid-bass frequencies.

If there is any deficiency in the system, it is in the 1-2 kHz range on the RF-7s. If you have any questions, just ask. When I get your PM, I will send a check asap.

Bill

Dean - if you have time shoot me that spread sheet as well. Either message me here or at:

vital@houston.rr.com

I will be doing the upgrade, just trying to get the money together. I just dropped almost 2,700 on two more RF-7s and an RC-7 center. I will be buying one more RF-7 for my center when we buy our house but for now the RC will work. I want all four RF-7s upgraded, I'll pass on the RC since it will be sold in a year or less.

Oh btw, four RF-7s in the house bring a smile to my face everytime I listen to them. Soon I will open the door to tubes.

Well, I guess I won't be sending any caps back. Thanks, you guys are great!

I'll be at work from 4 until midnight, and I'll start putting the information out as soon as I get there.

Wish I had a picture of that RC-7 I did for Carl. I need to figure out how to do that one so it gets back into the cabinet.

Carl, did I take a picture of that monster and send it to you before I shipped?

Dean, you did post a picture of that RC-7 crossover, bud. Right around the time which you did my crossovers. Sorry, I do not have more time to search today, but I am trying to finish reconstruction on one of the rooms at our house.

Vidal: I know I may be one of the few that has has Dean modify my RC-7, but I can tell you that it is well worth it. Movies are better, and the center channel for DVD-Audio, SACD::::oh, baby!!!

Carl.

It's all the fault of Dean's many satisfied customers.11.gif I have ordered the RF-7 crossover mods from Dean.

After school starts up again, I will probably have to go for the RC-7 crossover mod. The only major vice in all of the Reference 7s is that the RC-7 has a slight lisp.

After all of the superlative recomendations, it's difficult to pass up the opportunity to make a very good speaker better.

Bill

----------------

On 8/16/2004 4:43:43 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

After school starts up again, I will probably have to go for the RC-7 crossover mod. The only major vice in all of the Reference 7s is that the RC-7 has a slight lisp.

After all of the superlative recomendations, it's difficult to pass up the opportunity to make a very good speaker better.

Bill

----------------

Bill, at times, I also noticed the slight lisp, and Dean's crossover mod for the RC-7 put the speaker right on par with the improved RF-7s.

Just be aware of one thing. As pictured above, the tapered array crossover is a complex beast, and to make everything fit, Dean had to increase the overall height of the crossover assembly. The end result is that the deeper assembly ends up contacting the back of the horn. I was able to reinstall the new crossover with a pad between the assembly and the horn, and still tighten down all the cup screws in back. There just ended up being a very slight air gap where the cup fits the back of the speaker that I used weatherstripping to plug. This would only matter if someone was concerned about having to resell the RC-7 down the road (the outside appearance - out back). It did not bother me at all because I plan on keeping this center for a long, long time.

As modified, my RC-7 is an incredible center....

I know it would give Dean more stress and ulcers but I am surprised more RC-7 owners have not opted for this mod. Sure, most of us listen to music in two-channel. But, there are dramatic benefits for DVD-Audio/SACD due to the way most tracks are mixed these days.

Carl.

I think I might break down that crossover into two separate pieces. I could mount the top board to the terminal cup, and put some adhesive backed velcro on the bottom of the now separate bottom board. Peel, and then just stick it to the cabinet underneath the hole where the crossover normally mounts. The only thing I would have to do is lengthen the wires connecting the two boards.

The idea to split the two boards seems like a feasible solution as long as the wiring will reach the new location. In my book, the center cannel is the most important channel with any multi-channel software. It should match the mains as closely as possible.

If I get the center channel's crossover rebuilt, I can always say that it has been to Dean's speech therapy clinic.6.gif

Bill

Carl has agreed to send his RC-7 crossover back to me for an "adjustment". I think my idea will work, making installation a snap. At least this way we'll know if we have a solution before we proceed. Thanks Carl, you're a brave soul.:)

When I send my center's crossover to Dean, I will merely use a phantom center by telling my processor that I have no center. Dialog will not be perfectly centered unless I am in the sweet spot, but for a couple of weeks, it will be fine.

Carl-Thanks for the help with Dean's perfecting of his design. I suspect that the biggest benefit in home theater is to do the center channel's crossover, since the majority of the sound comes from the center.

Bill

• 10 months later...