Members Weekly Music Recommendations-August 16

hooting_monkey

Well, since Thebes was a little slow getting this out, I thought I would start us off this week.

Rules are simple: Name of Individual/Group, Title,type of

music as best you can (rock, classic etc.) and weather its's a cd, lp etc.

Mine for this week is:

Rush, Fedback, Classic Rock, CD

Great cd! Has the classic "For What It's Worth"

Hooting, thanks for picking up the slack. Got tied up last night and didn't get the post up. I hope you'll fill in for me next week, also because I'll be way on vaction.

My recommendation for this week is an oldie, but a real goodie:

Marvin Gaye "What's Going On", soul, cd

One of the sweetest male voices you'll ever hear at the peak of his craft. Very well recorded too.

You know how some disks you always keep in the car and you never take them out and after a while you realize you listen to them more often than anything you own? Or maybe a group comes out with a disk and you buy it and inside the disk is a diskography and you realize you own everything they have recorded?

For me, makes this disk my CD recommmmendatioon of the week -- "The Ride" by Los Lobos. Great rock, soul, California Mexirock, whatever you call it. They end up in my player more than any other group.

This disk, their latest, includes a mix of new songs, plus a few of their older songs sung by guest vocalists such as Bobbie Womack, El***o Buendia, Mavis Staples, Tom Waits, Richard Thompson, Elvis Costello and Ruben Blades.

If you aren't familiar with them, it's a good intro; if you are, the guest vocalists just add a nice element to some fine music.

(Side note -- Ruben Blades has turned up as a guest on another disk I recently found -- "Bad Haggis" DVD-A from AIX Records. This guy really has a nice tone!)

This is not a music CD, but highly related: it's a DVD about the making of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Made last year (30th anniv. of the 1973 release of DSOTM), it is a 45 minute documentary with all the band members (now distinguished older gentlemen) describing many details of what led to the album, how they chose specific musical passages, how they made some of the "special effects" (primitive by today's standards), and best of all, they each play parts of the songs as illustrations. Also cool are segments with Alan Parsons, the original studio engineer who mixed it all, playing back selected individual tracks, i.e., only a specific voice, instrument, or effect. For Pink Floyd fans, it is a highly enjoyable behind the scenes DVD.