Need a new receiver. Ideas?????

TransAmLS1

Well a channel for my front left seems to have quit working partially. It still works a little bit but it has fuzz and stuff and the sound sucks. I switched speakers to make sure it wasn't the speaker.

I have the RB-35s up front and the RB-15s in back, forget the number on the center channel. lol It is Klipsch as well though.

Now to my question, what would be a good receiver??? Keep in mind I don't feel like spending a ton.

Best Buy or Circuit City,(forget which one) has an ad for a Pioneer 5.1 500 watts 100 per channel for $179. Is that a good deal????

What about a Denon? I don't really need the 7.1 or whatever the 3803 is. So what is a good 5.1 receiver. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks!

In the <$500 price range, the only valid options to me are the Panasonic digital amp receivers. Everything else I've listened to in that price range is a stripped down, usually pretty weak version of its more expensive big brother.

I use the Panasonic XR-45 ($400 retail) in my entry-level home theater packages - works very well for the price.

I recommend getting one of them new fangled digital amplifiers as well. I am also using a panny xr45(discontinued) and I am very satisfied. Lower down the line, the panny xr25 and xr10 are available on ebay for $150 or so. The newer panny xr50, replacement for the xr25, is available for about $240. The highly anticipated pany xr70, the replacement for the xr45, will be available very soon. Many people are waiting for xr70. Another digital amp getting good reviews is the JVC RX-ES1SL digital amp, it costs less than the pany xr50.

JVC RX-10 vs Kenwood 7100 vs Pany 45 mini shootout

Good Luck.

----------------

On 8/17/2004 12:56:42 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

Denon works well for me so I gladly recommend them, but in your price range I would also take a look at marantz. Maybe you can have a great discount on the older models 5300 or 7300.

----------------

My sentiments exactly. If you do a little looking around, I bet you can get ahold of an SR-5400 in your price range.

John

----------------

On 8/17/2004 4:07:52 PM Jabez Scratch wrote:

If you've got the money, go w/ a Pioneer Elite receiver -- you won't be disappointed.

----------------

Operative here being that we're in the <$500 range. I can list a dozen options as good or better than the Elite if you're talking a grand.

In response to the question about the Panny XR's....

What can I say? I was totally skeptical when I first saw this unit hit the shelf. Once I heard it in action, I was impressed. Nothing in its price range can stand up to it. It doesn't have a mountain of interconnects or soundfields like the nicer Yammy, Denon, HK, et al receivers do, but what it does have is good, clean sound for small bucks. It's a well-implemented, inexpensive digital amplified receiver.

I would also consider a good used unit and you'll get 2x more for your money.Denon 3802,Pioneer 53txi are a few for way under $500.Even if you only spend $200,still look at used,I got a HK 125 for a spare room,$100 over a year ago,it still works great.To answer you Pioneer ?,I have a 412 in my garage and it sounds pretty good,for the price(also used $100).

I'll enter my vote for the Panny's. I use an XR25 in my MBR surround system with RB15s and an RCX4. The amps in the Panny are remarkably clean smooth and have even frequency response(believe it or not much better sounding than those in the Denon 3801 that used to power that system,the Denons tend to empasize upper midrange, which the Panny's don't). And, as formerly mentioned, the price of the Pannys is right!