3 yr old at showing of Alien vs. Predator?

Jabez Scratch

I just read a tragic story of a 3 yr old who choked to death on some popcorn at a movie theatre: (http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/08/17/popcorn.choking.ap/index.html)

I scanned the article above and expected to read that his parents had taken him to see some animated cartoon feature but, no, he was at Alien vs. Predator(!).

Color me reactionary, but do you really think that a 3 yr old should be viewing Alien vs. Predator?

Color me reactionary too; I was at a Sunday morning showing of AVP and there were several very small children there.

Not sure that it really was scarring or even scaring them in any way, but it just seemed odd to me. . . . MY parents would NEVER have taken me to see that movie even when I was 17! 9.gif but then that's my parents!

----------------

On 8/17/2004 12:51:10 PM picky wrote:

Yes. Our grandson (2-1/2) was glued to 'Finding Nemo'.

----------------

It's a sad story anyway you look at it, but, somehow, I think I'd feel less uneasy about the whole thing if the movie were "Finding Nemo," as opposed to AVP. Where the hell was the cinema staff when this kid got into the movie? I get hassled as if I were crossing through customs at the the US-Canada border when I bring my own jelly beans to a movie and this kid apparently gets in w/o incident. You've got to wonder about potential law suits flowing from this event: against the cinema, against the popcorn maker, maybe even the parents.

----------------

On 8/17/2004 2:35:31 PM dantfmly wrote:

WTF! why are parents taking hteir three year old to a movie like that.

----------------

That's the functional equivalent of letting your 3 yr old play Soldier of Fortune (the PC game notorious for its unprecedented level of gore and bloodshed) or the AVP PC game for that matter.

People are so danm stupid!!!

I see it all over the place, parents not wanting to have anything to do with their kids.

How about this for a rule: I don't care about the kids or parents, but about the $8 I pay for a movie. How about no kids under 6 in 'R' rated films as to not bother other people. If ANY kid, 2, 6, or 16 - or 26 is making noise, you get the boot!!! Make is a Constitutional Ammendment as to make sure it can be enforced.

I was at a movie and someone busted out a laser pointer (a group of teens) and about 5 seconds later, I hear one of the girls in the group yell, "put that away you ******* looser!!!' and guess what, no more laser pointer 9.gif

----------------

On 8/17/2004 1:31:52 PM Jabez Scratch wrote:

It's a sad story anyway you look at it, but, somehow, I think I'd feel less uneasy about the whole thing if the movie were "Finding Nemo," as opposed to AVP. Where the hell was the cinema staff when this kid got into the movie? I get hassled as if I were crossing through customs at the the US-Canada border when I bring my own jelly beans to a movie and this kid apparently gets in w/o incident. You've got to wonder about potential law suits flowing from this event: against the cinema, against the popcorn maker, maybe even the parents.

----------------

Yes, it's sad. Not to defend the cinema staff, but the rules sort of absolve them from responsibility to decide in the case where the parents are present (this child was accompanied by his parents) due to the film's rating.

In the case of 'Alien Vs Predator', the rating is PG-13 (Parental Guidance required under 13). I suppose his parents used their "guidance" and determined "it's okay". How sad. Naturally, I totally disagree, but it's a moot point, isn't it? His parents said, "Okay", so what power do I have, even though I don't like it? The staff is sort of in the same boat, unless the kid starts to disturb others or something.

----------------

In the case of our grandson, who is unusually well-behaved for a 2-1/2 year old: We normally do not take small children into theaters as well. Never, during the evening! But this was a Saturday afternoon matinee, and if someone expects to go to the theater on a Saturday afternoon to see a kid's G-Rated film and not have to put up with the little monsters, then they are not the brightest of bulbs.

----------------

On 8/17/2004 11:23:13 PM kenratboy wrote:

How about this for a rule: I don't care about the kids or parents, but about the $8 I pay for a movie. How about no kids under 6 in 'R' rated films as to not bother other people. .com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif']

----------------

Around here several theaters have a rule that no children under 6 are allowed into R rated movies in the evenings.

Another theater has a "family night" with special showings on Monday evenings - parents are encouraged to bring their children no matter how small - and to remove them for a while if they go on a crying jag. I'm pretty sure that the movies selected aren't just kids movies, and very sure that they're not "scary" or R-rated.

FWIW my son is 2 1/2 - definitely still not ready for the movie theater experience.

Orin