What the diff....

DaveM

if you have the speakers set to large or small like my towers, i mean then you have the setting for bass to be on mains my towers or sub or both?

ok if i set it to sub only for bass what will setting the mains to large do over small??

confused a bit lol

thanks.

Thanks, sorry to confuse, I have my sub set to sub only and mains to large, so they means bass only is on the sub but the mains play it to since they are large right?

Whats the point of bass on sub only? LFE right? :)

Sorry i was at work confused myself rereading that lol.

I have a SVS 16-46PCi so I was trying to get a combo for more mid bass for music, movies its plenty loud lol.

Thanks,

----------------

On 8/19/2004 7:39:46 PM DaveM wrote:

Thanks, sorry to confuse, I have my sub set to sub only and mains to large, so they means bass only is on the sub but the mains play it to since they are large right?

Whats the point of bass on sub only? LFE right?
:)

I have a SVS 16-46PCi so I was trying to get a combo for more mid bass for music, movies its plenty loud lol.

Thanks,

----------------

That's a strange sub to have if your goal is midbass. The 16-46 models are bottom feeders of the lowest kind. Anyway, If I were you and wanted the best out of my music I'd go 2 channel full range and not even worry about the sub, unless you are using bookshelves or something else with not much extension below say 40 Hz.1.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2004 7:39:46 PM DaveM wrote:

Whats the point of bass on sub only? LFE right?
:)

Thanks,

----------------

Having your settings at 'sub only with mains set large' means that multichannel material with the .1 channel only gets sent to the sub. All other material being sent to the mains gets played by the mains AND everything below the crossover point also gets sent to the sub.

I personally would do 'sub only with mains set small' or 'sub + mains with mains set to large.' The problem with your setup is that when watching movies, your sub will be reproducing the .1 channel plus the L and R channels below the crossover point. When listening to a CD or something else without a .1 channel, then you sub will only have the L and R channels below the crossover. This means that you will be forever tweaking your sub's volume as you switch between movies and music. Whether or not you set your mains large or small will depend on how well they reproduce the low notes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 3 speakers playing low notes does not necesarily equate to more bass. Two speakers set out of phase will actually equate to having no bass at all. That said, careful attention needs to be taken when choosing locations and phase settings for the sub and mains in order to achieve the flattest frequency response possible. Sometimes it seems counter-intuitive, but setting your mains to small might actually increase your bass! The only way to know would be to experiment and find out 2.gif

I personally like to set my mains to large and my sub to "LFE + Main." I then set the sub's crossover so that the sub starts reproducing sound where the main's start to roll off (So if my mains go down to 30Hz, I'll set the crossover on the sub to around 30Hz). This way, the sub and mains are never reproducing the same signal and the transition from sub to main sounds more fluid and natural.

----------------

The 16-46 models are bottom feeders of the lowest kind. ----------------

Just curious what you mean by "bottom feeder". Are you referring to its ability to dig deep for a powerful bass or are you saying its a poor quality sub woofer?...Just curious4.gif