RF-35 Upgrade

MPNX2

I was just looking for an opinion on an upgrade. My current system is a Harman Kardon AVR7200 powering a pair of RF35's, an RC35, and RB35's in the rear and no sub. Would it be a vast improvement upgrading to RF7's and an RC7 long with RB75's? Should I even consider upgrade my speakers or should I just buy a sub i.e. SVS? Any opinions????

----------------

On 8/21/2004 10:46:58 PM MPNX2 wrote:

I was just looking for an opinion on an upgrade. My current system is a Harman Kardon AVR7200 powering a pair of RF35's, an RC35, and RB35's in the rear and no sub. Would it be a vast improvement upgrading to RF7's and an RC7 long with RB75's? Should I even consider upgrade my speakers or should I just buy a sub i.e. SVS? Any opinions????

----------------

Most people here will tell you it is a hugh step up going for the 35 series to the 7/75 series. However, I also think most here believe a sub is one of the if not the most vital component to your home theater. I would buy th ebiggest and baddest subwoofer I could afford and, if I still thought my system was missing something then I would go get the 7 monsters!

Good luck!

D-Rex

I would go with the sub also. I have a similar system, but without the floorstanders (and older R-line). What I'm missing is a sub, to be specific an RSW 15. But with that in mind, I'm also missing the funds to get an RSW 15.

I would depend on what you listen to. I'm busy and currently listen to music only. For me that means I need smooth, deep, and controlled bass. I know the RF7 would give me that, but I'd rather get a little more (RSW 15)

The biggest differece going from the 35's to the 7's (in my opinion) is in the clarity of dialog in watching movies. The RC-7 is truely amazing. There are certainly other benefits, but that's the one that hits you first. That being said, you can get a sub a lot cheaper then upgrading to the full 7 line. Get a good sub first and try that. If you're still wanting more, get the 7's and keep the sub (a good reason to buy a nice sub now).

Oh - and you're never done upgrading...

A lot of people here like the SVS. I have the RSW-12 and really like it. I would have gotten the RSW-15, but they don't (or at least didn't) sell those in 220v, which I needed. I've really been happy with the 12. I think the SVS gives you a lot of value for the money, but I've never heard of anyone doing a side-by-side comparison.

I would buy the sub first, definitely. Then, buy an RC-7 by itself if you think your center isn't as strong as you'd like it to be. I run the RC-7 with RF-3's and although it's not considered a true match, I think the front stage sounds pretty darn sweet and I don't feel the need to spend another $1800+ on new mains.

Well, not yet anyway. 3.gif