It's a SIGN (dying Yammie)

colterphoto1

Hey IndyKlipschFan and friends, the time is finally upon me. After years of faithful service (I burnt out two remotes) my Yamaha RXV850 (yeah, I know Dolby pro-logic only) is finally dying a slow death. The balance knob got so scratchy that left channel shorts out occasionally. Then one rear channel amp went out, then after I strapped both rear speakers to one channel, they started sounding really bottomy after a few weeks. Now occasionally the unit just powers down. Theres no short in any speaker that I can tell and all the speaker leads are clean, no stray hairs. So it's now going to the repair shop and to the basement.

Decisions, decisions! I'm very happy with Yamaha sound and features. I really like last year's 3300 or this years 2400. Features I need are Dolby Digital, 5.1 min, 6.1 okay, about 80-100 wpc, 2nd zone/rec out (I like to record LP to Cass or CD's while watching HT), would really like pre in/out on mains for eq loop, pre outs on everything in case I want more power later. Oh, yeah, the speaker compliment (for now) is Cornwalls L+R, RC7 centre, RB3II for surrounds (I finally ditched the Definitive Bi-polars), possibly have some RB 5II's coming as well. Room is 26x 17 and I'm switching the system to a long wall (see Indy, I DO listen), sweet spot about 12 feet from wall.

Anything else I should look for feature-wise? Does anybody out there have any preferences other than Yamaha? I don't think I'm ready for the separates route yet. Maybe someday when I do a dedicated 2ch music setup.

Thanks for any hints.

Michael

sorry to hear about the 850

I still have my 850 working currently as a stereo only set up

purchased it in 92

I replace the 850 with a RXV2095

this is a very good A/V receiver and one of the better ones at the time

purchased this one in 98

I would like to replace it with the Z9 but cost is a factor and the 2095 is still working

there are a lot of choices out there and should be able to get a good bang for the buck

on a new A/V receiver

I would look at Yamaha again and Denon the next time around

for separates, I am looking at Rotel currently

I would agree with most, the Yamaha and Denon both good brand name receivers.

They are a little diferent, listen to both if you can.

I will say this... The Yamaha remote is fantastic to use from a simplicity standpoint. I have the Denon 3802.. And I would still be kind if I said it sucked. You have to start in AMP mode for everything and the menu, takes forever to get through. The Denon seems to be a tad warmer.. the Yamaha a tad brighter. With Cornwalls and not the K horns, they are just a "tad" ...(I seem to love this word, don't I today LOL... Meaning barely but yes noticable) lower sensitivity wise and revealing too. Both brands have good bass too.

One thing about K horns in a perfect room size wise for them (17-24 feet or so) and set up correctly snug in a corner and your listening chair is inbetween them in the sweet spot, is they are VERY revealing both good and bad to source material. With Cornwalls, you have some flexibility too. I am sure others will jump in here too.

Let us know what maybe your final 2 choices are!

I have the RX-V3300 and love it. The RX-V2400 though has the YPAO which simplifies set up although it is no substitue for treating you rooom. Either of these receivers I am sure would make you happy. If you can find 3300 you'll probably get a really good porice on it. If you cannot I would go wit eth 2400 then. Good luck.

yeah Indy, that's what I really disliked about the Denon, you had to toggle through all the source selections to get the one you want. Also a few years back, that same switching made some kind of relay mechanical noise within the unit. I'll stick with Yamaha! Probably get the 2400! wooohhhooooo

Michael

I"m a little late getting here. If you've already gotten the 2400, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is an excellent unit. If not, I will suggest one alternative not yet mentioned. I would suggest you give a Marantz a listen and see if you like it.

John