OT- selling houses

dantfmly

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to get into why companies fail, or money management. In my example of why not all debt is bad all the figures are just given as examples so you can see where I'm coming from. I know that earning a constant 6% is tough right now and that cars are lousy investments.

Anyway, Good Luck on your new home purchase. And when you get all settled in make sure to post some pics of the new HT room! 9.gif

----------------

On 8/26/2004 4:33:12 PM neomartic wrote:

I don't want to get into why companies fail, or money management. In my example of why not all debt is bad all the figures are just given as examples so you can see where I'm coming from. I know that earning a constant 6% is tough right now and that cars are lousy investments.

Anyway, Good Luck on your new home purchase. And when you get all settled in make sure to post some pics of the new HT room!
9.gif

----------------

Neo,

How goosh of you. In case you haven't noticed there is already some dialogue on this subject. But I am sure you would be able to tell the rest of us the reason behind such failures.

2.gif

Why the BS Roy? Perhaps you're not as smart as you think. Remember this, you can't buy time. Rule of 72.

Years ago I received an investment tip. Requirement, $10,000. I declined. My brother went for it. My brother later told me he spoke with a friend that considered borrowing to 'get in'. My brother laughed as he told me the story.

My thoughts: Most people generally pay their debts but don't save until its too late. (See posts by person who started this thread). Had the friend borrowed the money to invest 30 years ago, paid off the loan (likelyhood great)taken out to 'get in', and stayed with the investment all these years, his cost to 'get in' would be miniscule compared to the yield of his investment over the elapsed time.

Not going to go in great detail here but as smart as you are I know that you can do the math yourself.

The last time I stuck my nose in my brothers business he said his investment had earned 'lots' of money. You can't buy time.

Keith

.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif']

----------------

Neo,

How goosh of you. In case you haven't noticed there is already some dialogue on this subject. But I am sure you would be able to tell the rest of us the reason behind such failures.

2.gif

----------------

Sheesh! Layoff the guy. You sound like a bitter old man.

Neo - FWIW, many college professors operate in a vacuum and have no idea of how things work in the "real" world. Not all, but many. And the word you were both searching for is doctorate, not doctrine.

Anyway, I tend to agree with both of you regarding whether equities and debt securities are a pure "investment" or "speculation". It's a bit of each.

But by and large I would agree more with Neo's argument. Here's why. We "invest" our money in things with the expectation of a return on our investment. A degree of speculation is inherent, but the ROI is not left to random chance.

Pure speculation involves substantial risk in the pursuit of substantial gain. Therefore, a municipal bond (to borrow Neo's example) involves some degree of risk with a very modest opportunity for gain. On the risk/reward continuum, it's hardly what MOST would call speculative. Make sense?

You don't have to be old and crusty to be wise.

Original post, dantfmly wrote:

woo hoo. i love housing in my area (Virginia Beach). I bought a house here a little over 4 years ago for $97,900. I am getting ready to sell it and they are telling me it is worth $175,000-180,000. That is one hel# of a jump in four years. I owe 101,000 on the house still (VA loan, 100% of the loan was finaced plus closing costs, plus a refiniacing in there with more closing costs) so after relator fees i could make $65,000 to 70,000.

It seems to me that debt was worth it. dantfmly made a lot of money going into debt and buying the house.

Thats what leverage is all about in real estate.

BS? I still stand behind my view of this debate. As far as "wishing I was doing what you are doing when I was 20", wrong again. Those that know me can attest that we are doing OK in life.

Advise when based on theory is without experience is suspect at best. No, I still choose to follow direction from an "old bull" vs a "young bull" anyday. I still follow these two rules:

(1) THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE TO DEBT

(2) THERE IS NO UNSTRUCTIONS ON A DOLLAR BILL.

----------------

On 8/27/2004 7:53:03 AM Royster wrote:

BS? I still stand behind my view of this debate. As far as "wishing I was doing what you are doing when I was 20", wrong again. Those that know me can attest that we are doing OK in life.

Advise when based on theory is without experience is suspect at best. No, I still choose to follow direction from an "old bull" vs a "young bull" anyday. I still follow these two rules:

(1) THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE TO DEBT

(2) THERE IS NO UNSTRUCTIONS ON A DOLLAR BILL.

----------------

no there is no advantage to debt, but without debt most of us would be on the street our renting all our lives and never have anything, sometimes debt is a necessary evil. Most of us can not buy a house outright. As long as you keep it under control, there is nothing wrong with it. and as long as you are making invetstments along the way.

----------------

On 8/27/2004 10:31:50 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

A house gains value?........1929.....No investment is safe.

----------------

In the long haul... just like stock. If you look at both over the long haul there is peaks and valleies, but over the long haul it keeps going up. My house is not an investment. it is a place to live. but if i am going to have debt i would rathER HAVE DEBT IN SOMETHING THAT GAINS VALUE not losses value like a car. sorry hit caps lock, I'm not yelling.

Maron---If Chevys were still what they used to be then a Cadillac being a glorified Chevy wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Though why people buy Caddys that are simply Chevy trucks with brightwork....Christ, the big DeVilles with the Northstar V-8 are so nice and so, well so damned American (in the best way), why would anyone want a Cadillac truck?

----------------

On 8/28/2004 1:02:33 AM TBrennan wrote:

Maron---If Chevys were still what they used to be then a Cadillac being a glorified Chevy wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Though why people buy Caddys that are simply Chevy trucks with brightwork....Christ, the big DeVilles with the Northstar V-8 are so nice and so, well so damned American (in the best way), why would anyone want a Cadillac truck?

----------------

because every one wants a truck they are the cool thing now. I want a truck, beacause i want the engine. I want a hemi. but i hate the cars they are putting them in.

----------------

On 8/27/2004 8:23:37 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Speaking of bean counters.....Wait till they take controll of Klipsch LLC. I hope Fred Klipsch is smart enough to balance bottom line and quality. Look at caddilac Now a glorified chevy.

----------------

does it really matter that a catilac truck is a glorified chevy. they sure as heck are selling, which is the bottom line. oh and wait that is pretty much all that catilac has ever been is a glorified chevy. that saves GM money to have the same platform used many times.

----------------

On 8/27/2004 8:23:37 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Speaking of bean counters.....Wait till they take controll of Klipsch LLC. I hope Fred Klipsch is smart enough to balance bottom line and quality. Look at caddilac Now a glorified chevy.

----------------

6.gif

I hope so too. It is a tough balancing act to be all things to all markets. 2.gif