Chorus & Forte II for HT

Johnny O

The Forte' II uses the Tractix horn while the Chorus I's do not, if you use the Chorus in the front and the Forte' II in the rear and get a good center to match the Chorus, like another Chorus or the elusive and pricey Academy you should be good to go.

What Frzn said . . . I use original Fortes with an Academy and they match just fine. I'd try to get Chorus IIs instead of originals just because your Fortes are IIs, but you may not find that much of a difference. One thing you haven't mentioned is your room size. Fortes will do pretty well in smallish rooms, but a lot of folks report that the bigger Chorus needs a bigger room.

I've got Chorus II/Forte II combo and I love it. Personally, I'd go after a pair of Chorus II, to match the Tractrix horns on the Forte II. And the Chorus II digs a bit deeper (39Hz vs 45Hz)than the Chorus I. The two speakers do really well in my HT.

That said, my parents have Forte II/Forte I comb for their HT and I can't really tell much of a difference between them. Granted, I haven't done any serious A/B comparisons in a while, but any of the Chorus/Forte/Quartet speakers are quite good.

Well I bought the Chorus's and set them up as fronts and am using the Forte II's as rears. I didn't realize how much larger the Chorus's are compared to the Forte's. Big difference.

After setting them up and listening to several vinyl MFSL albums in 5 channel stereo mode via a Denon AVR and Denon DP-47 turntable I am not all that impressed. The Chorus's are strong as a 2 channel stereo setup however.

More tweeking is definitely required. Tomorrow I will set the system up properly with a sound meter and try a few DVD's to see how things end up.

For those who were curious the room size is about 23' by 14'

Fot HT, I'd keep the Forte IIs and buy a pair of Quartets. That's a much better match than the Chorus IIs with the Forte IIs. (check the specs) In fact, you might be able to get four Quartets for the price of one nice pair of Chorus IIs. Then you would have a 6.1 set up that's about as good as it gets. Now if you only want 5.1, I'll buy one of the Quartets from you. A Quartet center sounds better with Forte IIs than an Academy. Only another Forte II up front would be (marginally) better.

Chorus IIs would be great for 2 channel but the Forte IIs are really close, especially in a smaller room.