Replica Jubilee on Audiogon??

Radiohead

It's not a Jubilee replica, but is interesting. This speaker on Audiogon would require being in a corner and it is a three-way design, but the seller states it has 2 12's. The description is an interesting read. The seller claims the builder was a friend of PWK. Way over priced at $3K.

too many drivers for me to feel comfortable, can you say "comb"??? this guy would have to give a bunch more detail about driver selection and crossover design to sell these IMHO. the references to the jubilee make no sense, PWK put in a LOT of itme and work to reduce driver count, this adds! this seems to have nothing in common with the jubilee, except a 12" woofer. regards, tony

Me thinks someone needs a new monitor.

The 'stacked' tweeters are actually l-pads.

Probably sounds OK for a home-made speaker.

This box follows a Klipschorn plan, not the Jubilee.

The Jubille changed the exit angle of the bass horn to get better midrange, in doing so it lost a little bass at 40hz vs the Klipschorn.

My guess is that these are missing a bit of midrange in the 400hz~800hz region.

Nice vertical flush mount on the T35.

----------------

On 8/28/2004 8:29:08 PM sunnysal wrote:

two tweeters one over the other COMB!

----------------

Tony-

Comb filtering occurs in all systems, stereo pairs and even in a monophonic, single driver systems (reflections from surfaces that are 1/2 wavelength away). It is a consequence of the wave characteristics of sound.

Multiple driver arrays are a mainstay in the sound reinforcement business. Literally 1000s of these systems have been built suggesting that the effects of comb filtering are simply not that significant.

jw

Those monsters look big (even bigger than mine). Not a Jubilee. Just a corner horn, I guess.

Look how wide the back reflecting board is... that means that they stick out quite a ways from the corner...

also, the width of the front panel looks very much wider than anything I am used to.

However, technically, size is usually good with bass horns.

Interesting- I would like to see the plans! And hear them!

DM2.gif

"Multiple driver arrays are a mainstay in the sound reinforcement business. Literally 1000s of these systems have been built suggesting that the effects of comb filtering are simply not that significant."

The requirements of sound reinforcement are different then the requirements for critical listening in a small space.

Shawn

It's the size of the throat(s); who knows if its single or twin. But the back chamber and mouth combination is sized to the horn (overall length in inches) as A=V*2.9R where

A=thoat area in sq. in., V=back chamber volume, R=length of area doubling in inches (40Hz = 22.7 inches).

So an equivelent throat area of 78 sq. inches like the Khorn with the same backchamber could support 2 - 12" drivers, it depends entirely on the equiv. throat area.

However, due to the size difference from a Khorn, I would think that the throat/back chamber area is increased in this case, as are the general volume in the horn channels, as indicated by the width of the back reflecting panel (or tail piece)...

I imagine that this example would have 2 separate throats openings, 2 sets of initial horn channels that are not connected at the throat (that is, one feeds up, and the other down), a slightly larger back chamber and the same outer horn configuration as used in a Klipschorn. That's my guess, looking at the thing. If I was doing it, that's what I would do.

All outward indications (and the build quality) would indicate that these probably sound pretty darn good and would likely outperform a stock Khorn in the bass department (that is maybe not go lower depending on Fc, but just have more bass output SPL). The Fc may be lower than the nominal Khorn 40Hz, who knows?

But the tradeoff was size - these are quite a bit larger in footprint than the Khorn.

DM2.gif

Additionally, they may fold horizontally ; I see no evidence for the pyramidal back chamber of the Khorn being present. As a matter of fact, they show a feature that I thought about but did not incorporate in my design, the flat separator panel attached to the back reflecting panel.

If so, I imagine that I know what they look like inside... quite a bit like mine! I imagine that they also load from the top, like mine...

DM2.gif

Yes, it should look very familiar to us! However there are easier ways to do the twin driver routine in a Klipschorn (PWK even added it to his original 1946 patent).

But I think that the one on the left is the actual layout for the thing in question. It is eerily familiar to me...

This brings about another question: what 12" driver(s) does Klipsch use in the Jubilee?

DM2.gif