Pick my next amp

Krispy Kirk

I'm upgrading from a ratty old 1980's rack system JVC integrated amp in my basement and trying to feed my Forte IIs some cleaner power. The room is about 22x16, fully finished and acoustically rather dead. My budget is <$200 and I have no problems buying used. I will only have one source component (CD with fixed and variable outputs) and want to skip the pre-amp if possible.

Here are my choices:

Parasound HCA-800

Adcom GFA-535

Audiosource Amp Two

Which one would you pick out of these three?

You might like to look at this posting regarding Harman Kardon amps/receivers. It seems a number of people speak highly of them. You don't need a lot of power.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=51520&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={762703C0-E607-40A8-983E-2ABB6B1CA9BC}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=39648&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={762703C0-E607-40A8-983E-2ABB6B1CA9BC}

Adcom: with more power tend to sound bright

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=48728&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={762703C0-E607-40A8-983E-2ABB6B1CA9BC}

Parasound: lots of power, more than you really need

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=41062&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={762703C0-E607-40A8-983E-2ABB6B1CA9BC}

Just do some reading and I assume some people with more experience will chip in. $200 is definitely used equipment and SS to boot. You also will get better sound with a preamp, rather than running the CD directly into the amp. An intergrated would work better for you, especially at $200. You are basically buying a stop gap measure at the moment. Save up some money and buy either an integrated tube Eico HF-81 14W or Scott 299 C or D (30-5 W). This will give you the preamp/amp together and a sweeter sound than just an SS amp connected to the CD player. 30-35 W in tube form would be very nice to listen to and would do you nicely for a couple of years, or longer, depending on when the upgrade bug hits you. Check out the Harman Kardan line if you are looking at SS to go your Fortes, at least for the amount of money you want to spend.

Just to give you a little support on the no preamp point. If you don't need one for gain or convenience (or phono), I can't see that a preamp adds anything but a little more distortion and noise (and I have tried them).

On the amp, I've had Forte-IIs and now have Chorus-IIs. Try to audition and find the one with the smoothest sound at low power. With a good amp, the sound should be as good at low power as loud. If the low end is good, the power end will take care of itself.

Leo

I'd vote on the Parasound, though I've never listened to an Audiosource before. My Parasound 2205 sounds really nice the the Cornwalls. I also have a Adcom GFA555 and it is a little harsh. I do agree that you should be considering more than just those 3 amps. Is shipping that much more expensive to Hawaii? Is that why choice is limited?

Thanks to all for the input.

The reason I have limited myself to the three choices above is primarily financial. Those three amps are currently available to me for right around $150 each. I really want tubes - something like a Jolida 202 would be great - but I simply can't swing the bucks right now. My wife is pressuring me to sell the Forte IIs ("If they require such a special amp, just get rid of them and listen to your Klipsch computer speakers you like so much!") but she also wants me to set up a stereo in the sunroom of our new house here on the mainland (yep, we moved.) I'm re-woofering an old pair of 8" two-way "Design Acoustics" speakers which I'll mount up in the corners - the JVC integrated and an old Sony CD player will provide signal.

So, I find an el-cheapo amp for my basement rig and it's win-win. She gets her tunes on the deck and my Fortes get something better than pawnshop-caliber electronics. Oh, and did I mention I occasionally play electric bass guitar through my Fortes? Power is kind of a consideration after all. Pump 80-100 clean watts through the Fortes and they basically become a PA system. DJing, bass, vocals, whatever - the speakers can definitely handle it.

I think I'm gonna get the Audiosource - it sounds the least transistory...