What do you think about a 5.3 setup?

white_shadow

I don't ever see myself going 6.1. I'm not a fan of it and it'll be sometime before I go 7.1 if I ever do. I like 5.1 it's compact and depending on your rig can be excellent.

I've got a few smaller matched subs and extra amps. I was thinking about sending the front R/L pre-outs to an EQ, then to a amp. This amp would power a sub for the front R/L channels. In a similar fashion I would use the rear pre-outs to source a single rear sub.

What do you think about this setup? Is it possible? and has anyone tried it or something resembling it?

Bass is a tricky animal to tame sometimes. It it much easier to have all your deep bass coming from a single point instead of several. Room nodes and cancellation will drive you crazy. If you need more bass my suggestion to you is to set all your speakers to small and cross them over at 60 or 80 Hz and then add subwoofers off of the LFE output. I have 3 SVS woofers and that is exactly what I have done. Also all the subs are of course located in the same spot.

Look at my web page or system profile link for pictures.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 8/31/2004 4:22:44 AM white_shadow wrote:

I don't ever see myself going 6.1. I'm not a fan of it and it'll be sometime before I go 7.1 if I ever do. I like 5.1 it's compact and depending on your rig can be excellent.

----------------

I don't understand your your comment about not being a fan of 6.1.

6.1 is a true formatt on DVD's. 7.1 is just two back surrounds with

the same signal. Anyone can make a 6.1 to 7.1 by running a another

speaker wire to another back surround. DVD's that you are missing out on

is Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter to name a few.

----------------

On 8/31/2004 10:12:42 AM gcoker wrote:

----------------

On 8/31/2004 4:22:44 AM white_shadow wrote:

----------------

I don't understand your your comment about not being a fan of 6.1.

6.1 is a true formatt on DVD's. 7.1 is just two back surrounds with

the same signal. Anyone can make a 6.1 to 7.1 by running a another

speaker wire to another back surround. DVD's that you are missing out on

is Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter to name a few.

----------------

I agree w/ you in the sense that I don't get his reluctance to utilize 6.1. However, 7.1 does not simply repeat the 6th channel twice. The processor matrixes the information for the two rear speakers. If there is a tone playing dead center behind the listener (assuming a proper setup) that would be ONLY coming from the rear center, then yes it does simply repeat the rear center tone twice. However, most tones are not coming only from one speaker at a time. Therefore, the rear surrounds get a mix of the surround on that side and the rear center, for 6.1 material. If the source material is matrixed to 7.1, then the algorithm is a little different. It's something like 60/40 ls/rs for the left rear and visa versa for the right rear. This all helps the panning effects in a 7.1 system.

John

yromj, I am all for a 7.1 system..especially if you have a long

back wall to place them. While I agree in part on your 7.1

analysis, it is still up to the receiver to decide how it is

matrixing the rear. I'm not totally conviced the processor

pans between the two rear surrounds but I may be wrong.

----------------

On 8/31/2004 12:08:12 PM gcoker wrote:

yromj, I am all for a 7.1 system..especially if you have a long

back wall to place them. While I agree in part on your 7.1

analysis, it is still up to the receiver to decide how it is

matrixing the rear. I'm not totally conviced the processor

pans between the two rear surrounds but I may be wrong.
----------------

Let me point out that I have a 6.1 system, so I'm not saying that 6.1 is bad at all. Yes it is COMPLETELY up to the processor to provide the information to the back speakers. I would like to confirm that the receiver does pan the two rears, also. I'm about 99% sure it does, but can't seem to locate a proof right now, and it's 5 o'clock. 2.gif

John

It's not that the additional 6th channel wouldn't improve sound. It probably would, but I don't see myself spending $400 on a speaker located a few feet directly behind you. I'd never go to 6, but rather straight to 7.1. My listening habits tend to lean heavily on the music side, 2 channel or 3 channel music that is (rears off). Surround music doesn't do it for me.

My setup is different than most of yours. I don't have a dedicated room. Its just my college house (bedroom). I might go to a 7.1 setup someday, it might even coincide with the release of an RF-7 replacement, if they ever release one.