Dale W

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...and the low inductance makes the cable fast."

I use high inductance cables. I like 'em slow enough so that when they slither away from me in the room I can catch up with them. There ain't nothing worse than spending half the night chasing your power cords around the house.

----------------

On 9/2/2004 9:34:42 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

These is a very simple explination for how power cords might make some differences under some conditions.

It has nothing to do with the wiring leading up to the power cord.

Between the point where the power cord is plugged into your outlet, and the point where it attaches to the socket on the back of your equipment, it typically snakes through and around speaker wires, interconnects, digital cables, possibly lamp cords with dimmer switches, and all manner of whatnot. As it approches the equipment rack, it may be immersed in a lot of emitted noise coming from switching power supplies, digital circuits, other power supplies and everything else powered up. If stands to reason that some power cords would be less sensitive to picking up any of this grundge than others, and some might do a better job of shielding other cables from noise emitted by the power cord. If you have a cord that is not very good at rejecting external interference, it is quite possible that the (potentially) high current A/C signal being carried by speaker cables in close proximity to the power cord might modulate the 60 cycle A/C coming from the wall, adding a layer of noise that the power supply would have to filter out. Also, it is quite possible that any electrical noise present on the power coming out of the wall might affect the low level signals on the interconnects and RCA jacks if the power cord is acting like a broadcast antenna.

Note that none of this implies that it costs more to build a properly shielded and terminated power cord than a poorly designed one. I'm just saying it's not impossible that you could try two different cords, and find your system sounds better with power cord "A" than it does with power cord "B".
----------------

Ray,

Thanks for your observation. It did not take any stretch for me to come to much the same hypothesis. I'm not around much anymore simply because everyone seems to have their direction regardless of what information is presented. At least the 20 watt minimum BS no long haunts the place.

On this issue, somewhat along the path you've presented, one of the many design parameters of more elaborately designed power cords, from reputable manufactures, is to reduce MOST, if not ALL forms of EMI noise; both capacitive and inductive. The end result should be lower system noise and a more quiet backround. Some of the cords do have filtration(noise suppression) engineered within. I will not claim "night' versus "day" improvement, but I believe I audibly improved my overall systems performance with respect to backround hash by eliminating the garden variety IEC cables to my monoblocks. No, I did not spend a million bucks, but high grade internal components, external shielding and high quality construction, along with Class A connectors(Wattgate) were worth a few dollars to me, to the tune of $150 each at the time. Not much more than my cost of purchasing small quantities of the high grade components, and the cost of my time to try to accomplish what others can do better. (30 day return policy)

Better power cords works for me. YOBAMMV(Your own beliefs and mileage may vary).

Klipsch out.