Inventory of Tube based repair business for sale

rigma

PLEASE HELP! I have the opportunity to buy any or all of this TV repair business which operated from the early 60's to the mid 80's. I will be looking at this either this afternoon or tomorrow. I am told it is a garage full of stuff,many boxes of tubes included. My question is which tubes or other components and equipment were used in TV repair that are useful to audio. Any items that have good value I can sell to fund my audio addiction would also be good to know. Any advice would be appreciated.

rigma

This could be a great find or near worthless it all depends on if they stocked audio related parts and tubes. There really is no easy way to help you without seeing the parts and tubes first hand. If the parts and tubes are truly TV based parts its almost surely not worth much at all although some parts/tubes are interchangable they are usually a dime a dozen.

Craig

Yea Craig, I know this is a tough one. I will have to look at this stuff and make a decision on the spot and am just trying to get and idea of things I would not recognize that may be valuable. See my equipment list below. I am familiar with these tubes but not much else.

rigma

"Nearly worthless" would be most likely. I have gone through a lot of these old TV repair places and have found almost nothing of value in their tube stocks. One thing to look for is that the box the tube is in may not indicate what tube is inside. When the TV repair guy pulled out a new 12AX7 (for instance) from its box and it turned out that was not the problem, he likely just left the tube in the set and put whatever he took out back in the new box. I have hundreds of examples of that from my buying out old TV shops. I am not saying that it not a worthwhile exercise but am saying that desirable tubes may be far less than 1 percent of the group from my experience.

Bob