Sony V444ES Hissing

JMatte

I'm running a Sony V444ES A/V receiver with the Klipsch RF-3's, RC-3, RS-3's, and the KSW-12 Subwoofer. However, I have a serious problem. The 444ES is generating a loud hissing noise from the center speaker and the rear speakers. This hissing noise remains constant despite volume levels and is even present when the volume is all the way down. As of now, I have all my components (sub, tv, dvd, etc) plugged into one power strip. This hissing is really annoying and really loud. Has anyone encountered this problem and, if so, have any suggestions on how to elminate or reduce the hissing?

Thanks,

Jon

BTW, placement of all speakers and sub is "by the book". Speaker distance is set at 10ft as I am setup in a smaller room. Center/Fronts/Rears are set to LARGE.

I'm very interested in this, too.

I've seen this "sony hiss" mentioned elsewhere on this board, but have not seen a thread directly related to it.

My mom just bought the STR-DE545 and the hiss comes out of all 5 speakers, not just the center and rear - all of them.

A friend of mine has a pretty high-end system w/ sony receiver, outboard Sony effects processor, etc, and his hisses extremely loud...

what's the deal?

The only time the hiss goes away is when I switch it to Tuner and listen to the radio...

It can't be the way I've got it hooked up. It's not hooked up any different than my own system...

in fact, it should be even better because my mom's is able to use optical digital cable.

Insight please, gentlemen (and ladies)!

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

it's really just the nature of receiver's dsp for the most part. i.e., if u go to a stereo or direct mode u should notice a marked reduction in hiss.

give that a try. that isolates the hiss to the dsp if u notice a hiss reduction.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

The hiss on the V444ES remains no matter what the volume and no matter what "sound field" I'm in. In fact, if I'm in 2-channel mode it STILL hisses. Does plugging the receiver into a different AC circuit then the rest of the components help?

Probably not. What you get if you have some kind of problem with the circuit (grounding issue) is usually a "hummmmmmm" rather than a hissssssss.

You say that you get a loud hisssss from the center channel even if the unit is set to plain old vanilla two channel stereo? That puzzles me. In two channel mode, the center channel ought to be turned OFF. Totally. You shouldn't hear ANYTHING. Are you sure you've set the "don't do ANY DSP stuff, just play the two channels" mode and popped in a CD (NOT a dvd...)? If you're still getting hiss under those conditions, I'm stumped....

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Here are my theories on your problem. First of all I had the exact model as you as well as the 333.

This first problem can simply be a defective unit. This is probably the most logical solution. Sony is known for their inconsistencies in construction of receivers. I had 2 STR 333ES in my home before I had a completely functioning unit. Also, my 444 had problems. At that point I got rid of the Sony and bought my Yamaha. I am amazed at the difference. Back to your issue: When the volume is turned completely down to 0 you should here no sound, no matter what the DSP setting is or source. There is probably something not grounded properly. This could also be a cable problem. Before returning it, disconnect everything, than reconnect one thing at a time testing the functionality of the system. This may pinpoint the problem and you may only have to replace a cable.

Even if the above statement is true and changing the cable eliminates the hum/hiss, Sony is still known for noisy receivers. If the unit is not defective, you will probably still experience a hiss. All my Sony units hissed extremely loud when the volume was raised a little bellow 1/3 of maximum without the source (ex. CD player) even turned on!! Some people are not bothered by the hiss, but if it bothers you try another manufacturer.

boa, it is not just the DSP. This hiss was there in all settings, even 2-channel. My advice to all is to get rid of their Sony and try another manufacturer.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony TC-WE425 Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Rear (Just upgraded the SS-1)

i2 have a sony de935 now relegated to the backroom as a

5.1 backup to the big ken.

ben, u are correct that it still has some hiss w/ nothing playing & volume up, but it has double or more the hiss w/ when a dsp mode is switched on. that's what i meant by marked dif. the 2 channel hiss is tolerable for me anyway Biggrin.gif

if it's intolerable, solution is to get another receiver 1 way or the other. which i did too. cwm35.gif

My Denon 3801 has a very tiny bit of hiss w/Klipschorns.But you have to get right up to the tweeter to hear it.In Direct mode it's gone.It's only there in all the DSP modes,but not enough to notice even at loud levels.

Sony would work well with a speaker with say an spl of 90 and below.Klipsch is so efficent,it brings out the build quality in different equipment.

Please now that I'm not bad mouthing Sony,I love my DVP-C650D dvd.I have always liked Denon,so I stick with it.

You might have a problem with the one you have,if you can exchange it,try to.Or try another brand.

Just my opinion

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

This message has been edited by Steve P on 07-28-2001 at 10:33 AM

JMatte,I have owned many SonyES receivers over the years,just recently bought a 333ES for a relative,and I

have NEVER heard any hiss out of any of them.I have always used good interconnects,surge protectors/conditioners,and a Mondial M.A.G.I.C. box with all so take your pick as to which one is doing its job.If you are unable to cure the problem,ask the dealer where you bought the receiver for suggestions,and if he cannot help you then tell him you would like to return/exchange it.Then maybe try another brand.Check around with other Klipsch owners to see what they prefer with Klipsch and do some demoing yourself.Pay particular attention to Yamaha as my opinion is Yamaha is overly bright and the last thing IMO that you would want to use with Klipsch.I know others feel as I do, just ask bensilb.

Anyway,good luck with your Sony.Hope you enjoy it.

Keith

Jmatte,

Boa12 is right...I have an STR-V333ES, and I find the hissing is not at all bothersome...first, when I turn to Analog Direct mode, it all but disappears...second,the only way I can hear it is if I put my ear up next to the tweeter part of the speaker...You'll NEVER hear it with music on....The onlly way it could be bothering you is if you sit around on a source with nothing playing, with your ear up to the speaker...Forget about,put on some music, and listen....All amps with DSPs do hiss...Its no big deal...If you really want to make an improvement to your setup, get an external 2 channel amp, drive it with yoru receivers's preouts, and your music will never have sounded so good...Trust me on this one...I speak from experience with essentially the same receiver you have.

Yep those sony's.

I had one's the STR-DB930 for a very short time.

Three times. Yep, replaced this unit 3 times. All the same.

Just a little hiss(not hearable at listening pos), but the volume control way to sensitive. The lowest volume was still to loud. Oeps, deja vu. I posted this already in other threads. Oh, well here it goes again.

It was even the case that one RF-3 was still playing while the other one was completly death.

Shortly with the Onkyo the Sony was totaly forgotten.

Far less hiss, nice volume control, nice remote control and ... yep better sound.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

JMatte:

I had two 555ES units, both hissed like you would not believe with only my Klipsch Reference series speakers connected them. Just like you most of the hiss came from the center and surround speakers.

It drove me nuts!

I tried everything to fix it. Finally sent them both back and got a Marantz SR-19EX. NO HISS AT ALL. This Marantz is the quietest reciever I have ever heard!

Sorry I have not quick fix for you.

Ben

I dont think I'm understanding about this hiss...Again, I have the sTR-V333Es... I only hear it if I stick my ear against the grill in front of the tweeter. A FAR louder hiss is present in most of my ADD rated classical recordings...There, if you turn it to above 80 db in spl readings, you can clearly hear the tape hiss which was used to make the recording...But if you can hear the receiver hiss over any music youre playing at all, then there is seriously something wrong. What does it matter what you can hear with your ear pressed up against the grill? Now, if youre saying that, in your listening position, you can hear the hiss over your recordings, then yes, I'd say you have a serious problem...But that's so far from what I'm experiencing with my ES receiver that its hard for me to relate... Can you describe it in any of the above terms?

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Pay particular attention to Yamaha as my opinion is Yamaha is overly bright and the last thing IMO that you would want to use with Klipsch.I know others feel as I do, just ask bensilb.

Keith

As a Yamaha owner I most definitely don't feel it's "too bright" for Klipsch. Just my experience...

The C7 has a very warm tone with my setup, not too bright at all...

and the V990 has no problem delivering earthquake-level bass out of my Soundfield V's...

Yamaha has some of the lowest distortion rates in the industry - the V990 is rated at .0125%, and I have had no problems with it in the 6 or so years I've had it.

On the other hand, after hearing the "sony hiss" out of more than 1 of their models, I'll never buy or recommend a sony receiver again.

It's Yamaha or Denon or separates for me...

just my .02 ears.

as always, let your own ears be your guide.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!