Chorus II crossover conundrum! leok, deang, alk, mike stehr; help!!!!!

krustyoldsarge

I've spent the last couple of days trying to digest the numerous posts (especially from leok, mike stehr, deang and alk) concerning crossovers, in particular the ChorusII.

I want to upgrade my crossover components, but according to what I've read, the Chorus network defies upgrade! Upgrades from electrolytics to film caps or inductor upgrades change the driver voicing within the speaker. The board is tiny (and fragile).

Nonetheless, some brave attempts have been made to tackle the beast! My questions for those who have attempted upgrading a ChorusII crossover are:

1. Has anyone been been able to completely upgrade the all the caps and inductors (save the autoformer) AND preserve the voicing/balance of the speaker! How?

2. Has anyone used goertz alpha-core inductors in Klipsch speakers with any success? Was the voicing thrown off?

3. Does anyone have a pair of ChorusII crossovers (maybe with a broken board) that they are willing to sell (would rob for parts)

There are already endless threads on caps! I'm not sure I'm any smarter for having read them all, though! I've got some 2uf (1%!) polys on the way.

Last year I did crossover mods to my KG4s, upgrading the caps and coils. The difference was remarkable (but not cheap) Will post pics later when I get back to home station. Of course, I finished this project just in time to buy the ChorusII's that I had been searching for last 7 years. So right now, the KGs just sit. 6.gif

I also screwed up by posting this to HT6.gif

It never ends 8.gif

I did my Chorus II Mids and Highs with Auricaps. I left the Bass alone as there really isn't any space on the board to play too much more. Plus from what I hear the bass doesn't upgrade as dramatic with a cap/coil change. I am more than happy with the results and didn't cost much with the auricaps.

Talk to DeanG, he hooked me up with a nice Auricap deal, and has mucho knowledge along with Leok on the Chorus II's.

Bob