DTS problem

D-Rex

Since I don't have a digital connection to my TV I am not getting the on-screen set-up menu for the receiver so I don't know if there is something there that I need to change to set the system up properly. I will check on the DVD player again to see if there is anything else I need to do but I am selecting the DTS signal be sent to the receiver so I am at a loss as to what else I can/need to do to get it to working properly.

----------------

Most receivers only display the On Screen Menu through composite video

and not through component or S-Video. Most likely you do not have the DTS

set to on in the DVD players menu. Most receivers will play DTS automatically.

My Denon will show the OSD through composite and S-video, but will not with component connections. I don't believe the Denon's in this range did that until the 3805, which has upconversion. What type of connections are you using to your TV?

What exactly does the display of your receiver read when you feed it a digital signal from the DVD player? Also, what are the setting set to in the set-up menu for the DVD player itself?

Yes, the Denon will auto-detect DTS and DD5.1 and automatically go into those modes when those bit streams are present. I'm believing DD and DTS are not set up to output from the DVD players set-up menu.

I HAVE A DENON AVR-3801 SAME AS YOU

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To get DTS 5.1or 6.1 and Dolby Digital (DD)5.1 on a Denon AVR-3801

1) First you will need to be able to see the On Screen Display (OSD) on the TV monitor

The AVR 3801 OSD depends on which Video inputs are used. If there is no video on both of the Video signal input jack (yellow) and the S-Video signal input jack there will be OSD on both the Video Monitor Out (yellow) and S-Video monitor Out.

Connect one of the above Video outputs to your TV video in.

Make sure there is NO Video input signal to the receiver aT this time.

2) You will need to connect cables from the DVD to the Denon AVR-3801 for the Digital audio in for DD5.1 or DTS 5.1.

The Denon AVR-3801 has 3 Digital in Assignments for this: Coaxial 1 or Optical 1, Optical 2, Optical 3. It does not matter which input connector you use, the coaxial is cheaper and works fine.

3) You will need to select which (Digital in Assignment) you want for the DVD player.

On the Denon remote push the Setup button, scroll down and select "Digital in Assignment" if using a coaxial cable select "Coaxial 1" If optical cable is used select Optical 1,or Optical 2, or Optical 3. Make sure the input you select in the (Digital in Assignment) menu is the same as the cable that is plugged into the DVD player.

Also while in the SETUP menu make sure the ON SCREEN DISPLAY is selected and ON.

On the Denon remote push the MENU/OSD button to check the settings NOTE this toggles through several screens so you can check settings but will not allow you to change any thing.

Go to OSD-6 to make sure the digital assignments are correct.

4) For DTS 5.1 or 6.1 you will need to select DTS on the DVD PLAYER MENU. NOTE: the previews on a DVD may only be Prologic so make sure the movie has started.

Also make sure the DVD Movie you select has a DTS 5.1 or 6.1 sound track. Most movies do not have a DTS surround track.

5) Set the receiver to AUTO for decoding the type of sound.

On the receiver front push the AUTO button under ----INPUT----

6) The DTS led on the Denon receiver should now be on.

KhornKerry,

Thanks for the detailed response. I have a rather old TV, circa 1993, that only has RCA cable connections. Does that mean I won't be able to use the OSD?

I tried disconnecting all of my video connections while I had the video source (coaxial cable) disconnected in hopes that it would reset the system just in case I had connected them with the video source already connected. Didn't work, still didn't have OSD.

So, is this OSD necessary for me to get the 3801 set-up to properly identify the DTS signal?

Thanks,

Dallas