Equipment Abuse

scriven

Take a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5719881742. A friend of mine has one of these amps. It's build like a main battle tank! I think you would have to run into it with at least a small truck to bend one of the handles like that!

(I know this has nothing to do with Klipsch, it just pains me to see fine equipment like this that has suffered this kind of abuse and I needed to vent!)

Believe it or not it's nearly impossible to find anyone who'll repair vintage gear in upstate new york. There are a couple places but they both $uck. The stereo workshop in latham is a joke. Lake Electronics would rather you throw away your vintage gear then bother them to repair it.

If you all know of some reasonable repair shops in NY that can and will work on vintage gear please do tell.

I ship all my stuff from NY to a great guy in Indiana. It costs an arm and a leg for shipping but he's fair and honest with his work/prices... AND... there's no one else around.

This amp reminds me of a Mac 2300 I saw at the late lamented Hi-Fi Showroom in St. Louis about twenty five years ago. It had been in a disco, on the top shelf of a closet. Someone had tried to steal it, and had grabbed it by the handles and given it a mighty tug - evidently with no thought of either the laws of gravity or how he would control the 125 pounds of Binghamton Battleship he would be suddenly holding over his head. The police found him pinned under the amp, presumably resolved to restrict his larcenous activities to Carver Cubes.

The Mc 2600 sold for over $1200. Probably not a bad deal, if nothing beyond cosmetics is involved - you can get the handles, faceplate, and meter from Audio Classics for around $400 or so.

Speaking of which, I'm a bit hazy on my New York geography, but Audio Classics in Vestal does really nice work on vintage hardware.