Want some good big speakers for my room.

pHEnomIC69

I got a lot of quality setups for audio. Klipsch 4.1s on my computer with turtlebeach, bose for family room(i dont like this setup because its not clear at all and the diamond box small speakers are a joke (They are rigged so they sound good at the store)). I got a mostly alpine setup in my car. I want to get some big cheap speakers off ebay or something for my room. Does anyone have any suggestions on any older klipsch speakers that will do me good? I think klipsch is hands down the best for audio and iwant to buy some older speakers off an auction site. I only need a 2.1 setup for music. I want a powerful and clear (strong treble and bass) setup. I really dont know much about HT stuff.

What kind of amp/receiver should i get for them. I am on a tight budget here because i really dont need the setup and could just get some cheap computer speakers for a few bucks to listen to music.

Well this is my two cents. If you start out with something cheap it will cost you more in the long run . You should go with some chours or cornwall's. You will spend more at first, but be cheaper in the long run. Buy the time you upgrade a few times becuase you get the disease of wanting more you will spend twice as much

Denon 1082

ChoursII

Rc3

Rs3

Rsw10

If you want big speakers on a budget, check your local pawn shops. Ebay is fine, but shipping charges can cost 50% of purchase price. Besides that pair of Klipsch speakers priced $369 in the pawn shop might just be had for $200 cash. Pawn prices are set for bargaining. They probably gave $100-$150 for the loan, so at $200 they are getting a decent profit.

I have gotten many speakers from pawn shops, examples:

Heresy II's $150

Quartets $200

Kg 4's $150

Kg 2.5's $75

Kg 3.2's $120

Be sure to test them before dealing. Also check local classifieds and estate sales.

you need to be a bit more specific, how large is the room, how large do you want the speakers to be, you said 2.1 so you do not have to worry so much about the bottom end so much because of the sub, but many of the heritage line require a fair size room just to breath, many of the listed speakers need room except the heresies, so how big is you room?12.gif

Well, my room is not too huge. Its bigger than the average room but its hard to explain. I might be putting them in my basement when it gets finished in the next year or so and adding other speakers. I don't think im gonna get a sub with them (I forgot 2.1 means 2 channels+sub, so i really just want 2 channels).

----------------

On 9/12/2004 6:53:22 AM Bill H. wrote:

Phenom,

Look on Ebay for a Harman Kardon HK 430 Receiver- usually about 40-60 bucks. For Speakers- Look for some Heresy's. Usually about 300.00., Or some KG 4's usually about 200.00. jmho.

----------------

40-60 bucks, You mean 400-600 right?

You wont find the HK AVR 430 for less than 500 dollars USED.

----------------

On 9/12/2004 2:05:04 AM pHEnomIC69 wrote:

I got a lot of quality setups for audio. Klipsch 4.1s on my computer with turtlebeach, bose for family room(i dont like this setup because its not clear at all and the diamond box small speakers are a joke (They are rigged so they sound good at the store)). I got a mostly alpine setup in my car. I want to get some big cheap speakers off ebay or something for my room. Does anyone have any suggestions on any older klipsch speakers that will do me good? I think klipsch is hands down the best for audio and iwant to buy some older speakers off an auction site. I only need a 2.1 setup for music. I want a powerful and clear (strong treble and bass) setup. I really dont know much about HT stuff.

What kind of amp/receiver should i get for them. I am on a tight budget here because i really dont need the setup and could just get some cheap computer speakers for a few bucks to listen to music.

----------------

I went from promedia right to reference. I have a nice RSX system now and Im very pleased. You could get a pair of RB-25's for less than $300 and a good 2 channel stereo for about that price too. As for a sub, dont settle for anything less then the new SVS PB10-ISD ($399). And from what I have been told it smokes everything in its class and the next.

Speaking from experience, your money will go a lot farther with used/vintage equipment. I have a modern HK AVR that MSRPed for $1K and a vintage perfect condition HK630 (twin powered) I got for a little less than $100 shipped off eBay, and the old HK really blows away the new HK AVR for 2-channel stuff. I haven't heard many of the classic Klipsch speakers but from what I hear the same is true with them, older and bigger better sound than comparably priced new stuff.