mini disc

seti

I have several friends that collect bootlegs but for some reason they are usually in minidisc format. The sound quality is pretty decent but I was wondering if minidisc are going to fade away or stick around for a while longer. How do they compare to cdps and is the quality worth giving it a try?

Just curious,

Seti

----------------

On 9/12/2004 2:00:07 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

go to www.minidisc.org for more info. I have a couple of deck and a portable unit. I am also mp3 challenged.

----------------

thanks

the only mp3s i have are of recordings that i could find in no other format. the mp3 cds i first listened to just sounded terrible but it could have been the sample rate.

Most of today's concert bootlegs "originate" from MD recorders, that are small enough to bring to the concert and have fidelity on par with that of best (192K or greater) mp3 bitrates (some claim better, some claim worse). Other than the fact that the most portable MD players/recorders DO NOT have digital outputs, there is no reason that the 'discs' themselves could not be dumped (in real-time) from a home MD deck WITH digital output to a PC ( they DO employ SCMS copy protection, but many digital sound cards just ignore it). CDs digitally copied to MDs sound very good, but ARE distinguishable under direct A/B comparison. Before the proliferation of the IPOD/MP3 players, they provided a good, cheap portable solution. To the best of my knowledge, other than DAT, they still provide one of the best 'portable' ways to record live events. The biggest problem with MDs is that they are all licensed by Sony, and their Record (Media) division tends to want to limit the innovations of their Electronics division and from providing the functionality that the public wants (namely fast digital uploading to PCs). The other is that they use the proprietary ATRAC compression scheme.

i used to run mini and cd, infact i used to have an md burner, and the sound was identical when burned at a slower rate. i suppose if you measure with a scope you can see differences, but not with the ear, and yes, sony is making a real effort to maintain the md, it is superior to cd in 1 very important way, no matter how much you shake rattle and roll, it will not skip12.gif