Some questions about Bi-Amping

Klipsch RF7

What are you using for a preamp Erfan? Ideally, you would want a preamp with two main outs. I would run the RF-7s full range, and then run a second set of interconnects to the sub from the second set of main outs on the preamp. This way, you are only using the low pass section of the sub's crossover. I would then set the crossover on the sub to its lowest setting, and start experimenting for the best sound. It usually only takes about an hour to figure out what works best.

"What I am trying to achieve is better bass response, I want some heavy bass and was looking to use a pair of the solid state amps for the low frequencies.

How would you guys go about it, should I just split the left and right signals with a Y splitter as MDeneen suggested and have the signal go to each amp and then run the LF posts to the solid state amps and the HF posts to the Dynaco Mark III's?"

In your instance, Bi-AMPING will not be the answer. If you have RF7 and need more bass, a Subwoofer is the only answer. Unless your preamp is very substandard, replacing it will not help. Tone controls like EQ will not give you necessarily more powerful bass, may just muddy things up. Most modern subs will give you an option of line level (from your preamp via RCA plugs) or speaker level (your speaker leads go here, the sub does an electronic xover, sending lowest couple octaves to sub, saving your RF7's from having to reproduce these notes) and provides amp power to push those kicking notes. From the Klipsch category I would recommend NOT using the KSW series and they aren't big enough to keep up with RF7, you'll need RW 12 or 15. Don't waste $$ on other improvements til you have a sub.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 6:08:17 AM DeanG wrote:

Is this your unit?

So, it appears you have four sets of
inputs
, and yes -- two sets of main outs. Looks like you are good to go.

----------------

Yup, that is my exact unit1.gif Cool man!!! I am now going to buy a RSW sub, Im deciding between 15" or 12", I know the smaller sub will have better control of the bass but debating if i should just buy the bigger one?

I really want to thank everyone for thier time and help in this matter, it is greatly appreciated.

I picked up a Klipsch RSW-15 tonight from my local Ultimate Electronics store, they had a black floor model sitting there all by its lonesome, had a reduced price of $1350 on it. Went and spoke to a manager and told him I can get a brand new one on line for much less, will suffice to say I walked out of the store with the subwoofer and paid $974 including taxes, I have it setup and jamming away and trying to fine tune the crossover point with the RF-7's!

What frequency do you guys recommend i start with to try to mesh the woofer and the mains?

RF7,

The pictures not my dog, but that is what she (Grace) looks like.

I know it's still early and you are still playing around with the sub, but how do you like the sound?

Did this give you the slam you were looking for?

I have read so many different points of view about using a seperate sub I really would like to hear your thought's.

Good job about getting the price knocked down.

Danny

----------------

On 9/15/2004 10:19:52 AM dbflash wrote:

RF7,

The pictures not my dog, but that is what she (Grace) looks like.

I know it's still early and you are still playing around with the sub, but how do you like the sound?

Did this give you the slam you were looking for?

I have read so many different points of view about using a seperate sub I really would like to hear your thought's.

Good job about getting the price knocked down.

Danny

----------------

Nice1.gif I really like the sub, I only got to play with it for a few hours total since i bought it last night at 9 p.m. and got home and had to set it up and listened till about 11:30. From what I auditioned in that time frame, it reallys sounds good! The bass is crisp and tight, hits hard and really makes a big diffrence in bass performance. This subwoofer is a keeper and sounds wonderful for such big driver, it has 2 15" drivers, one 15" driver in the front and another 15" passive radiator in the back, it thumps!!!!! Well worth $900 i paid for it.10.gif

Glad to hear it.

I think you came out cheap. There are many (me) who would have started swapping out amps, preamps, wire, speakers, etc to get the sound you have now.

You need to put on a Ray Brown CD and listen to some accoustic bass or Down to the Bone jazz CD. That will test your sub.

Hope you really enjoy your system now and start another AUDIO post soon.

Danny

----------------

On 9/15/2004 1:02:32 PM dbflash wrote:

Glad to hear it.

I think you came out cheap. There are many (me) who would have started swapping out amps, preamps, wire, speakers, etc to get the sound you have now.

You need to put on a Ray Brown CD and listen to some accoustic bass or Down to the Bone jazz CD. That will test your sub.

Hope you really enjoy your system now and start another AUDIO post soon.

Danny

----------------

Cool, will do on the Jazz discs. Ill cruise amazon for a used copy of Ray Brown10.gif

----------------

On 9/15/2004 1:09:51 PM DeanG wrote:

Well, he got the right sub that's for sure. I think it's a plus if the drivers in the mains and sub match. Needless to say (but I'm going to say it anyways) -- those three pieces were voiced together.

----------------

Oh yeah, I will tweak it further over the weekend when i am home all day to sit and listen and play!

11.gif