A visit to Artto's

boomac

I simply forgot about the Packers being on Monday Night Football. With my Forum pal, Jmalotky, I was on my way down to the "Windy Subs" for a long awaited experience in Artto's listening room.

John gave me center, sweet spot seating when Artto put on my LP, Oliver Nelsons Stolen Moments. It was played on a Linn Sondek Turntable, through an Audio Research SP6B preamp powered by a trio of Luxman MB3045 triode power amps, I closed my eyes and good Lord, the great Freddie Hubbard was blowin' his horn right there, on the stage, at ten oclock. Grady Tate was working the brushes just right of center and the drum sounds stayed right there, where the kit was set-up.

Later, (along with other great selections from Jmalotky and Artto)

Isaac Stern performed Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D major with the help of Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. Super Audio CD technology was the format it didn't disappoint. How sweet can a violin sound? How full and authentic can a home HI FI sound? "Just amazing" is all I can say. Isaac, you da man! Can I have your autograph?

Now, what made this the most realistic listening experience Ive ever had? Was it the preamp, the great TT or was it the three beautiful tube amps? Maybe it was the acoustics of the room. Artto has designed and modeled the room after his favorite listening auditorium in Urban Ill. It was quiet with no discernable echo and the risk of sound bouncing back and forth was reduced by strategically placed sound deadening devices. It is a listening room to be envied for sure. I figure that the fantastic sound is a result of all the quality components including the environment. I could speculate on their order of importance but Ill leave that to someone thats more qualified. I just know it sounded very, very good and the experience was unforgettable.

Arttos new CD player, a Shanling SCD T200 is a real thing of beauty and the sound, according to Artto is on par with the rest of his gear. He says, and I see his point, that such quality players along with significant improvements in CD and SACD make vinyl, and the hassles associated with it, a bit less attractive. Though even I could notice a slight difference in the two formats, it was negligible and not really any better or worse; just a bit different. It convinced me to rethink a proposed purchase. Rather than up grade my current turntable, I am strongly considering putting the funds into a quality SACD player.

Perhaps Jmalotky will provide greater technical information and observation. He has a significant listening environment himself and he knows a lot more about all this than me. Ive been lucky enough to audition both rooms and Ill attest, with no hesitation, to their greatness.

As a host, Artto was first class. He is knowledgeable, interesting and willing to share. The pizza was first class as well.

Thanks Artto.

Did Art have the Romex or whatever that stuff is called put in? (He was going to stuff it in behind the masonite panels).

I personally found the SACD format to sound better than the LP, but perhaps that's because I've grown up around digital and thus I'm more aware of the problems with LP (and immune to problems with digital). Either way, just about any format sounds freaky amazing in his room (provided the recording is good 11.gif )

He showed us the material he was going to use in between the pannels, but did not have it finished. He had a block in between for the interum and is planning to make a larger insulation piece, formed to fit in between the pannels. I don't think it was called Romex. Im sure Artto will chime in here to answer.

I have had the oportunity to listen to Artto's system twice now, and able to compare it to my Khorn / MC-SS system. I have come to the conclusion that the "magic" in him room is mostly the treatments and engineering that has gone into the room to maximize the great speakers PWK gave us first and foremost, followed a close second to his three channel set up that provides the source of the 3D imaging.

The tube amps and SACD are key, but are the iceing on the cake per say, to provide the purest source possible at this time. Artto is like the rest of us audio junkies who are continuously searching for better component. Lets face it, hook up Khorns to a nice amp and they sound great compared to 99% of the competition.

I have heard other 3 channel setups. Artto's sounds best becasue of his room.

JM

It was a deep dish partially baked variety that Artto brings home from one of his favorite spots. Though I love that stuff, I'd put the pizza that comes out of the ovens in and around Philadelphia up against any in the world. Something about the sauce.

Mike (Dr.Who), the material you are referring to is called Roxul. It was brought to my attention by our Canadian Forum friend Mike Hurd. Its a rigid insulation made of rock wool or mineral fiber. I probably wont get around to installing that until next year. Romex is a brand name for a type of plastic insulated wire used in electrical wiring of buildings.

TC, there are plenty of pics and data of the room on my thread arttos klipschorn room in the Forum Architectural Topic area.

John has hit it on the head. Ive had the same speakers since 76. The Belle was added in 78. The Khorns have been in 5 different rooms over the years, from very small (2 different apartments) to where they are now. I was fortunate enough to receive a complementary copy of the Klipsch Audio Papers from Mrs. Belle Klipsch back in 73. The information in there provoked my curiosity as to how good the Khorn might be when given the proper operating environment.

The pizza was from Lou Malnatis, consistently at the top of the list of favorite Chicago pizza over several decades. Its a thin crust deep dish pan type. I was going to just have it delivered but with Monday night football I figured delivery would be slow and if my wife wasnt home from work yet to take delivery wed never hear the doorbell. So I just opted to get some of their pre-made/partially cooked take home ones. Scott..didnt you know theres no such thing as REAL pizza more than 50 miles outside of Chicago!?! (LOL)

As Scott mentioned, the room acoustic and its general atmosphere were inspired by my favorite auditorium, the Foellinger Great Hall in the Krannert Center for Performing Arts at the University of Illinois, Urbana. Photos of the space do not do it any justice. Its very difficult to convey. You have to see it. It looks like a huge chamber of heaven when you first walk in. It is considered one of the most acoustically perfect spaces in the world. Its interior has much more geometric acoustical features which I could not apply effectively in my much smaller room so I resorted to the much more efficient polycylindrical surfaces. This hall has long been my acoustic reference.

http://www.kcsa.uiuc.edu/tours/tourWeb/GreatHall.html

http://www.krannertcenter.com/center/venues/foellinger.php

Just reference, the CDs and SACD discs were all played on the Shanling SACD player using its tube output. The signal then goes directly to a Klipsch 2PH3 center channel circuit box I made as described in the Dope From Hope newsletter, bypassing any preamp or control center. From there, directly into the triode power amps. LP was played using the Shure V15/SME III (damped arm)/Linn LP12 Valhalla turntable using the Audio Research SP6B preamp, then the same as above.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 6:17:59 PM IB Slammin wrote:

Artto, Could you post pix of all four walls again?

Thanks,

TC
----------------

TC, there are plenty of pics and data of the room on my thread arttos klipschorn room in the Forum Architectural Topic area.

Yes I know, but can't pull it up in ether search mode.

Terry

----------------

On 9/16/2004 5:25:02 PM IB Slammin wrote:

----------------

Thanks,

TC
----------------

Terry

----------------

It's fallen down to the "180 days" catagory. You have to select "180 days" at the bottom of the page. Or just use "klipschorn room" for the search. The search mode seems to interprete the ' in artto's as some sort of delineator that breaks the search word sequence.

----------------

On 9/17/2004 2:29:31 PM artto wrote:

----------------

On 9/16/2004 5:25:02 PM IB Slammin wrote:

----------------

Thanks,

TC----------------

Terry

----------------

It's fallen down to the "180 days" catagory. You have to select "180 days" at the bottom of the page. Or just use "klipschorn room" for the search. The search mode seems to interprete the ' in artto's as some sort of delineator that breaks the search word sequence.

----------------

Got it.

Thanks,

Terry