Velodyne DLS-4000 Sub

mark1101

very few subs match well with heritage. you need power and speed. REL has been mentioned, as have others (they will all ring in I am sure) I think in the veldyne line you need big (15" and up) and servo controlled (I bet the DD-15 or DD-18) to match well though they are substantially more money then the model you mentioned. if it is for a movie system you can be freer in choosing but for a serious music system the field narrows, as I said. warm regards, tony

Tony,

Yup, I kind of figured. I referred to a past post about LaScalas and subs, and got all the recommended ones from that. Most were priced really high. The DD models are well over $2500. I could get Khorns for that.

So, I figured I'd ask the forum about the lower priced models and whether it is worth it to bother at all.

I am not THAT short on bass, but when I add my cheapo Sony HT sub into the mix just for kicks, it definitely makes a difference. A nice sub would be a very nice addition.

I guess I was kinda after some "poor mans Khorns". If it could be cost effective.16.gif

I use two Velodyne F-1500R's 15" Servo Controlled subwoofers, I picked them up used for $400 apiece and paid like $100 each shipping each time. They weigh about 100lbs unpacked. They do keep up with what I have in my signature line and the volume is set to "3" and the crossover point is 60Hz, they hit hard, fast, very low and are extremely clean. They made a F-1800R check into that one if you are going with a single sub.

IMHO a used unit is the way to go here, better to stretch the dollar up to something really able to match a klipsch speaker or better to wait and save pennies until you are ready then to buy something not up to the task...Frzninvt mentions a perfect example from the velodyne line (servo baby, remember servo) that should mate well with the la scalas. another brand mentioned a lot around here is SVS. Have you strolled the powered subwoofer forum? they talk a lot about other brands that mate well with klipsch down there. check it out. warm regards, tony

The Servo (Accelerometer) is monitoring the woofer's cone movement thousands of times a second and provides the cleanest, lowest and most dynamic response possible and no distortion or artifacts. Output is solid into the teens (Hz wise) no boomy or sloppy bass here folks!