Don't Laugh: Looking for an Academy?

Roxme

Okay, I'm new here, but I've seen enough to know this is a difficult fish to land. It the same old story, I picked up these swell vintage Forte's for front mains and my center (Def-Tech CLR-2500) is less than ideal, timbre wise. If anyone hears of an Academy for sale, please let me know.

Thanks!

Ron2.gif

----------------

On 9/22/2004 5:40:52 PM Roxme wrote:

Don't Laugh: Looking for an Academy

----------------

Well then how 'bout a chortle?

Who knows. You might get lucky. I got mine on eBay at 12:30 AM EST BIN @ $350 and it was only 15 miles from my house and in perfect condition from the original owner. I was the fourth view according to the view counter. So it can happen.

I got mine of eBay for less than $400. That's about as well as you're going to be able to do there for black. Oak goes for $550-$750, and last walnut (very rare apparently) went for well over $800.

You can find them, just be prepared to pay. Use the Favorites page to save a search, with email notification.

Well, thanks for the advice guys. I have been look on ebay for a short while now. But come on fellas; finding an Academy on ebay for BIN @ $350 sounds WAY too good to be true. Does that really happen, or are you just teasing me?

At any rate, I'll be patient and keep looking. I just though posting here would be a good place to start my quest.

I can get by with the Def-Tech, it really is a great center speaker, just not a good match for these Forte's. Man, I love the sound of these things! 9.gif

Your RPTV should be large enough to accomodate an additional Forte' and that is what I would use for a center channel, you can get a pair of Forte's for about the same $$ a single Academy goes for. Then you would have a seamless front sound stage, take the no compromise approach!

I have Forte I's as rears, got some Forte II's from Ebay to use as fronts, and then found Quartets on Ebay, and am using one as the center on top of a RPTV. I took the riser base off the Quartet (easy, 4 screws), repositioned the Klipsch badge to top center (harder than taking off the base), and it became a smaller, not-so-imposing center speaker perfectly matched to my fronts. Eventually I may use the extra Quartet as a center rear. Note that the Quartet has the Tractrix horns, while the Forte I's have the exponential horn, but there is certainly not a huge difference in sound/timbre. Additionally, many (most?) HT receivers have a 5-band equalizer function for the center, so you may be able to adjust the sound a bit to better match the L+R fronts, if necessary. On the Academys, I have watched Klipsch speakers on Ebay for a year or so, and while last winter and spring, a few Academys went for $600-800, more recent ones have gone for more like $400-600. Still, a lot more Quartets and Fortes come up for auction than Academys.

PS: An RPTV may only have fairly thin particle board for the top, as there are no innards high up inside the cabinet, and a heavy speaker, like Forte's or Quartets (not sure of Academy's wt.), may cause the RPTV top to bow downward. Some forum posters have placed a custom-sized sheet of tempered glass on top to add support and spread out the weight of the speaker; I went the cheap route and got a 1/2" x 12" x 48" particle board from Lowe's, about $4, and painted it flat black like the TV. It looks fine on the TV and supports the 42 lb. Quartet adequately.