5.1/6.1/7.1 Dolby/Dts?

Spanky

This is something I have pondered late at night when I couldn't sleep, How many of you have 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound?

Is it worth setting up for 7.1 or 6.1 straight away when there is not a lot software EG: DVD's that support 6.1 or 7.1?

I am going to wire my theatre room for future expansion but only using 5.1 for now, I will allow for 6.1/7.1 But I can only think of a couple of DVD's here in Australia that use 6.1 surround sound info EG: Star Wars with Dolby Digital EX but I know of nothing yet that has DTS 6.1 or 7.1 (And I'm not including any Music/concert DVD's, I'm refering strictly to movies)

Your thoughts?

Looking in www.dtsonline.com, for region 4, I found:

Austin powers - Goldmember 6.1 dts discrete

Blade II 6.1 dts discrete

Can't stop the music 6.1 dts discrete

Die another day 6.1 dts matrix

Jurassic park III 6.1 dts matrix

Lord of the rings fotr 6.1 dts discrete

Lord of the rings - two towers 6.1 dts discrete

Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion 6.1 dts discrete

Rush hour 2 6.1 dts discrete

S1mone 6.1 dts discrete

9.gif

Any 5.1 can be matrixed into 6.1 or 7.1 with the receiver.....

They take the stereo surround signal and then matrix out the mono track and play from rear(s)

Is it worth it....YEAH.....ecspecially with wide rooms....it provides a better fill of sound when effects go from L surround to R surround...as the rear will fill in....

now going from 6.1 to 7.1 is well....dependant on room width IMO....

My listening area is about 16 x 18 and I run 6.2. I did have 7.2 but really do not need it for such a small room. However I do like the rear effect.

As stated above, if you do not have the room then certainly I would not worry about it as 5.1 with good speakers in the right location is all oe really needs.

I will say, I was and have been basing my system choices around 6.1 and not 5.1, the reason I was asking was I spent a couple of hours at a local DVD store and spent a lot of time looking for 6.1 product and apart from Star wars there was very little else to be found, So I was thinking maybe the studios were not spending the money on the good soundtracks for region 4 or demand for the 6.1 tracks had been quite low.

I think at this stage I will set my system up for 6.1, I think it is going to save me time and money down the track.

The 6.1 and 7.1 Setups are totally different if compared to each other. 6.1 adds another center rear channel. Where as 7.1 adds left and right side channels. AS of right now 6.1 is the better way togo. But i would wait for 8.1 which would have both center rear and side left and right channels.

----------------

On 9/25/2004 2:56:22 PM activemx wrote:

The 6.1 and 7.1 Setups are totally different if compared to each other. 6.1 adds another center rear channel. Where as 7.1 adds left and right side channels. AS of right now 6.1 is the better way togo. But i would wait for 8.1 which would have both center rear and side left and right channels.

----------------

in fact in the 7.1 the two rear speakers are feed with only one channel.so the two rear speakers produce exactly the same sound.

in a nutshell: 7.1 is 6.1 with a wider rear center .there is no extra channels in the 7.1!!

----------------

On 9/24/2004 4:22:21 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I'm going for 9.1, that is adding a speaker directly overhead the listening position and burying one in the floor directly beneath listener for the ultimate in sound localization. sheeeesh, when is this going to stop?????

----------------

There was a demonstration at the CES show last year - a 20.3 system - speakers were everywhere - floor, ceiling, side walls - but I'll tell you what, the discrete passages they demoed were absolutely insane....

----------------

On 9/27/2004 2:41:50 AM doudou wrote:

in fact in the 7.1 the two rear speakers are feed with only one channel.so the two rear speakers produce exactly the same sound.

in a nutshell: 7.1 is 6.1 with a wider rear center .there is no extra channels in the 7.1!!

----------------

Wrong. 7.1 uses the same technology that 6.1 used to use, with delay effects to create a simulated stereo pair in the back instead of one monaural rear channel.

It is totally a different result, and with the blu-ray laser and HD DVD right around the corner, one that I'd take the extra few bucks and invest in, were I planning a new HT right now...