SACD title suggestions needed

Daddy Dee

Most Billy Joel albums. Coors but that is DVD-A. The Best of John Denver is great and also Five for Fighting. The newest Norah Jones SACD is probably the best sounding that I've heard. Her vocals are magical on SACD and Klipsch speakers. You have to be careful because I bought an SACD the other day that lists it as surround sound but is only 2 channel. I personally like multi channel better. If you have 5 good speakers then there is nothing like it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/26/2004 9:09:37 AM InventiveAudio.com wrote:

The newest Norah Jones SACD is probably the best sounding that I've heard. Her vocals are magical on SACD and Klipsch speakers. You have to be careful because I bought an SACD the other day that lists it as surround sound but is only 2 channel.

----------------

The Norah Jones is Come Away With Me. Her latest has not been released on SACD yet but there is talk of releasing it on both DVD-A and SACD early next year. I waited a while hoping they would do the SACD but finally gave up and picked up the vinyl. Dumb move on their part I think, not releasing all the formats right from the start.

Which disc was listed as MC but was stereo only? I've heard of a few of them and I'm curious. IIRC the CCR discs from Analog Productions were listed as MC but are stereo only. I can't tell anymore because I tossed the sticker from the shrink wrap.

It's a sad commentary on the format when the manufacturer doesn't even know what they are selling.

----------------

On 9/25/2004 12:16:13 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 9/24/2004 8:18:27 PM Strabo wrote:

There's also a bunch of Living Stereo releases that just came out. Again, don't have any but they are on my want list.

----------------

I bought 9 of the 10 (passed on the opera arias). They are uniformly excellent; you won't be disappointed.

I have 4 of the Living Stereo releases and agree they are excellent. These are two and three channel recordings only, since that was how they were originally recorded. And they are old recordings dating back to the late 50s. But the sound is really amazing. They did a first rate job of bringing the analog tapes to SACD.

I bought a sampler SACD, "The Ultimate Audio Experience-The Classics Sampler," which has a selection of newer, fully digital 5 channel works on it. Honestly, I prefer the sound of the older Living Stereo series. But that could be because my surround speakers aren't up to snuff.

My absolute favorite SACD so far is "Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy." This recording is a sentimental favorite of mine; I bought the vinyl back in 1972 and I've had two cd versions. The SACD just sounds so wonderful, really brings out the room and the fact that this was a pretty spontaneous affair. . . . The more I listen to this the more I just feel this is one of the real desert island discs for me.

----------------

On 9/25/2004 4:36:37 PM dubai2000 wrote:

Paul,

I have the CD version of Ravel's Daphnis conducted by Charles Munch which strikes me as rather dull. Is the SACD really an improvement? And what about the Saint Saens 'Organ Symphony'? I have read a lot of positive comments, but again I am not a great fan of the CD.

Wolfram

----------------

The DG version cd (4d) "Ravel - Daphnis et Cloe", Pierre Boulez is one of my most favorites; it is definitely NOT DULL by any means. We've discussed it before. I'm only into cd's and this one is excellent. Also check out DG (4d) "Stravinski - Firebird" - excellent recording again, and antother definately "NOT DULL".

DM2.gif

D-Man,

yes, we talked abou it before. The Ravel disc I was referring to was a Living Stereo CD release....which sounds better if played with reverse polarity (IMO).

I have got he Boulez DG Stavinsky "Le Sacre..." and will check that out for sonics (though I seem to recall that I preferred Boulez's CBS/Sony recording.

Anyway, I ordered the Faure/Dupre recording. It'll take some time being shipped from the US, but I'll let you know my impressions.

Wolfram

Wolfram, that is MY FAVORITE cd of all time!

Of course, if you don't like it, then my reputation (?) will be completely shot...2.gif

However, I can guarantee the recording quality is fabulous.

It was a StereoPile "MUST OWN". That's how I got turned on to it, embarrasingly enough (ok- I ACCIDENTLY read a StereoPile magazine - ONCE). So it isn't just me...

DM2.gif

I was thinking about my cd library, and thought about my favorite recordings. These are mostly orchestral works.

When I want to do some serious listening (or relaxing) these are what I put on, just for myself.

I found that TELARC cds are consistantly excellent, in general. They reproduce an extreme clarity, air and depth on a vast sound stage. They do not seem to be mic'd as closely as comparable quality DG recordings, but absolutely nothing is missing, for sure. It's like sitting a row or two back in a symphony hall, which is my preferred soundstage for this stuff anyway.

Followed by certain DeutchGrammophon (4D) recordings but they are not as consistant, but when they are done right, they are a standard by which all others can be judged. These are extremely clear, with plenty of black-space and dynamism. I get the sense that they are mic'd more closely (or simply more mics are used) especially the string sections. The soundstage is expansive and large, but possibly not as "deep" or as far away as a TELARC recording, but every bit as clear. This could be a matter of opinion, of course. At their best, there is virtually ZERO background noise whatsoever, so the truning of pages, taps, tics, foottaps, etc. are all there and are eery, because it is not real clear as to what that transient is...

The soundstage is more-or-less from the front row, in most cases.

Then I find Sony/CBS to be an above standard recording, in general, but a smaller assortment is available. In particular, I have a Sony Ravel cd with "Mye Oye"(sp?) and "La Mademosoille de Lue" (sp? - heck, bad memory) that I just love. It does not have the same deep sense of depth that either of the above have, but it is clear, velvety-black, with a wide soundstage. The vocals are exquisite, and beam out from the dark like a narrow spotlight beaming at the sweet spot. This one is best described as light-painting with flashlights, sorry - best description that I can come up with. The soundstage is presented as if your sitting a couple of rows back in a very good hall.

DM2.gif

Hey, I've got those, too. I like Dianna Krall, but she is always mic'ed way too close. That is like watching giant heads in close up on a big screen tv. I find it disturbing...

The re-engineered version of Dark Side of the Moon is a keeper, for those old fogies who remember that from the 70's, like me.

DM

----------------

On 9/29/2004 1:50:00 PM D-MAN wrote:

It was a StereoPile "MUST OWN". That's how I got turned on to it, embarrasingly enough (ok- I ACCIDENTLY read a StereoPile magazine - ONCE). So it isn't just me...

----------------

D-Man, what's wrong with Stereophile? I was thinking of starting a subscription to them, Absolute Sound, and Sound & Vision. Was considering Home Theater Mag until I realized they gave everything they reviewed awesome results.

----------------

On 10/1/2004 2:46:42 AM nicholtl wrote:

D-Man, what's wrong with Stereophile? I was thinking of starting a subscription to them, Absolute Sound, and Sound & Vision. Was considering Home Theater Mag until I realized they gave everything they reviewed awesome results.

----------------

Dude, sign up for it if you want, nothing wrong with that.

My opinion is that Stereophile is oriented to sell things rather than review them. Also, they have been poo-pooing horns for years.

In my mind, that means that they don't have a clue, and therefore, their reviews are unduly and unfoundedly biased. Hence, worthless. Just my opinion.

You would be better off with Absolute Sound.

Also take a look at the British mag "Hi-Fi and Record Review"; it's very good.

DM2.gif

Holy Conoly are you kidding?2.gif

Some of my favorites are:

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon (ummm.....given)

Peter Frampton- Frampton Comes Alive

The Police- Every Breath You Take (best of)

Leo Kottke- 6&12 String Guitar

Junior Wells- Come On In This House

The Who- Tommy

John Coltrane- A Love Supreme (stereo only)

These will make your ears very happy. Hope this helps!1.gif