Today was my lucky day ! Check out my new Klipsch

junk250

Thank's everyone,KG4's.I looked on ebay closed auctions and a set sold recently for 125.00 or so,I wouldn't sell mine for that,somebody got a bargain!I noticed mine have bookmatched veneer(oak I think),dry but I bet will look real nice when oiled.

A new question,for a dummy please(I don't understand the terms,sensitivity,ohms,range ect).I just know what sounds good!.In researching these Klipsch speakers(Heresy's-KG4's),I've read about the low watt tube amps(that require "high efficiency"which the Klipsch have @ 90 something @ 1 watt(the Klipsch heresys kept comig up in the discussion of ultimate low watt systems,due to efficiency),I've always liked "tube" receiver sound.Can someone explain this?Do the Klipsch prefer 100 watts or 10 watts through a low watt tube amp-pre amp?Would I get the same tube sound from a tube receiver,a Marantz or something?100 decibles per watt at high efficiency,so at a few watts your speakers are rocking,facinating...Can someone explain this to a tech challenged hillbilly how does this work,and what old receivers would sound good?

Junk, your listening patterns won't change much with the addition of a tube setup. If you like your neighbors hearing what you like NOW, you will want to retain that ability AFTER you switch to tubes as well. If you do a search, you may notice there are more flame wars regarding how much power is enough than any other type of thread on this forum.6.gif

You are growing some good garage sales down in KY!9.gif

Congrats on the Klipsch gems. Sensitivity usually refers to the efficiency - basically the SPL (Sound Pressure Level) output (in decibles) you would get at 1 meter if you put 1 watt through the speaker (at 8 ohms); therefore the higher the efficiency the less power required to play loud as it were. Ohms refers to the resistance (electric current resistance), while most speakers are 8 ohms they do vary, with the other most common values being 6 and 4. Resistance is commonly referred to as the nominal impedance - this is essentially the average impedance or resistance of the speaker, since it can vary during playback. Basically this means the lower the number, the lower the resistance. Often the amplifier will double the power output if the ohms are split in half, so for an 8 ohm speaker the power output from the amp might be 80 watts, but with the 4 ohm speaker it will jumpt to 160. The caveat being that you will usually produce much louder volumes from a low ohm speaker, but depending on your system you might also tax your amps if they are not rated to work with less than 8 ohms. Hope this helps.

You asked about Klipsch speakers preferring 100 watts or 10 watts. All depends on the type of amplification - tubes or SS. Most SS amps don't hit their stride until you are putting out large wattage/volume levels. Tubes, OTOH, are strong and clean in the first few watts. So, in many cases, tubes will sound better for overall, everyday listening at "normal" volumes, because you don't have to crank them way up to hit their sweet spot.

Also, I'm bemused by the observation that these KG4s sound better to you than the venerable Heresy's. Not that I'm saying you're mistaken, just that most folks put the Heresy's in a whole different (better) league than the KG series, which may or may not be true. It's all up to the individual.

----------------

On 11/5/2004 11:02:49 PM dougdrake wrote:

Also, I'm bemused by the observation that these KG4s sound better to you than the venerable Heresy's.

----------------

Doug,

Yes,after comparing the heresys do sound a little sweeter.But the Kg4's as good or better than anything else I've heard(except the heresys).I looked @ ebay closed auctions for the KG4's and a pair sold recently for 125.00 or so,a little beat up but I sure wouldn't sell mine for that!What are the KG4's worth(not that I want to sell).

Today I found a pair of Cerwin Vega digital series d-2(20.00 for the pair).Haven't listened to them yet,they need the foam surround replaced on the woofers.Does anyone know a good cheap source of foam speaker surrounds?