Member's Weekly Music Recommendation-Sept. 27

cluless

Genre - Punk/Modern Rock

Band - Green Day

Album - American Idiot.

This is the most coherent production by Green Day ever. They step up to the plate with insights into the problems that we all face...the delusional factors..the idiocy and hypocricy...but let us not make this a political event...

Thanx Clu for the tip, I went online to listen to some cuts, but they must be too explicit, as none are offered, but everyone raves about it. I like rock opera, so I think I am going to buy my first Greed Day cd. Speaking of first CDs I bought my first Johnny Cash one and that would be American IV: The Man Comes Around . I like "Nine Inch Nails" Reznor's "Hurt" and Sting's "I Hung My Head,"

Thanks for stepping in Clu. Did not get back into town until late last night.

My selection this week is an oldy, but a goodie:

Willie Nelson "Without a Song" on lp. Soft country.

For those quiter, warmer evenings everybody should have at least one Willie Nelson in their collection. This one is very soft, filled with some origianl material and a few standards. Very sweet and very well recorded in Willie's own studio. I might add that just about all of his stuff is very well recorded.

This is an easy one since I've been waiting for a while now. THE NEW INTERPOL CD! Titled-Antics on Matador Records. I've listened to it twice today and I do like it. It seems a little more "happy" than their first brilliant but somber record. More upfront guitarwork as well on this one. 2 thumbs up and a snap!

----------------

On 9/28/2004 11:41:24 AM gtDark wrote:

----------------

On 9/26/2004 8:27:44 PM davmar wrote:

I like rock opera, so I think I am going to buy my first Greed Day cd. ----------------

Pardon my Canadian, but "eh?" I definitely like Green Day, but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for there
9.gif

----------------

If you had to pick one band to don the "least likely to create a rock opera" mantle, Cali-punk trio Green Day would be among the most logical candidates. That makes the existence of American Idiot something of a surprise -- and the excellence of its contents little short of a revelation. There are no half measures on the sprawling disc. Billie Joe Armstrong has created a full slate of characters and given considerable thought to their back-stories -- heck, he even dug out a glockenspiel to add dramatic tension to the nine-minute epic "Jesus of Suburbia." Thing is, Armstrong and company haven't lost their snotty Gilman Street edge in the process -- as evidenced by the snarling, expletive-laced title track and the made-for-pogoing sing-along "Extraordinary Girl." While there's obviously a political subtext running through the disc, Armstrong seldom gets so specific that the disc will sound dated come the next election cycle. Instead, songs like the Clash-styled "Are We the Waiting" and the spare ballad "Wake Me Up when September Ends" delve into adult-oriented emotional distress with the same sort of incisiveness the band once applied to teen angst. While there are occasional lapses into utter excess -- "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" encroaches on show-tune territory -- American Idiot packs enough power, both sonically and emotionally, to make it worthy of extended play (and consideration for a 2004 time capsule). David Sprague

Re. Green Day..I still find that hard to believe, but I'll have a listen soon enough and decide for sure.

Re. Interpol..I listened again today on the way to work and enjoyed it more than the first listen, but still don't like it as much as their first album.

With the new Interpol cd in mind, I'm going to recommend something along the same lines, rock with a bit of Indie: Spoon - Girls Can Tell. I really love this album all the way through. Preview some of the tracks on that link.