Anyone ever used these products?

IndyKlipschFan

Nope. Not this particular brand, but I highly question their testing results statements about other competitive products in the table on page 5 of their PDF-based brochure.

In my experience, if you treat the room as if it were a vessel that holds water, if the walls, doors and ceiling (and floor) are not sealed air-tight, then there will be (sound) leaks. Sound acts just like water and it will penetrate any surface that is not properly sealed. In walls, this means that a type of sound-blocking membrane must be employed to seal the entire space from stud-to-stud and from header to sole plate behind the drywall, or whatever wall material is utilized.

In this sense, they appear to claim that their products do just that with the advent of a polymer-based, sound-blocking layer. They also appear to rely upon the intergrity of their sealer/caulk product to address the subject of blocking the sound between the seams of their product.

Despite what the people on your link say, I like a layer of Homasote behind my drywall. It works much better than they claim when used in conjunction with the sealed approach above. I know this because that is exactly what I have done in my room.

In addition to the claims made by Quiet Solution, I was just looking at their "QuietWood" product. It is my opinion that these sheets would be very hard to work with in a residential environment unless you had lots of help. The 4'x8' sheets range in thickness from 5/8" to 1-1/4" and weigh between 75 and 141 pounds!! The "QuietRock" drywall product ranges from 5/8" to 1-7/16" thick and from 86 to 186 pounds! WOW that is heavy! It is my opinon that a layer of 1/2" or 5/8" drywall and a 1/2" layer of Homasote placed onto a wall that's had the dense, sound-blocking membrane attached to it would be much easier to work with and perhaps, just as effective. As far as cost comparisons; that's something I did not research.

Artto is the one who would really know if the stuff you mention is any good, as I am just a layman and know only what I have experienced.

Interesting products, Indy.

----------------

On 9/30/2004 11:58:52 AM picky wrote:

Nope. Not this particular brand, but I highly question their testing results statements in the table on page 5 of their PDF-based brochure.

----------------

Greetings:

I would have to agree with Picky.

I've done some custom installs and have not seen claims as that.

dodger

This seems like it might be an interesting product. As I continued reading their paper, I began to wonder if this viscoelastic polymer of theirs might be one of the new nanotechnology related type of materials. My first thought was that possibly this polymer glue/sealant might be strong enough to safely bond to wood or metal studs without requiring any structural connection such as a nail or screw. Unfortunately this is not the case. The glue polymer viscoelastic material that is supposed to do the sound de-coupling is basically defeated by securing their drywall/plywood damping structure to the frame with a firm mechanical connection.

I used similar construction techniques in my listening room. I suspect, that unless there is something very special about this polymer of theirs, the process and construction techniques they describe can produce similar results with similar things like resilient silicone caulking on the studs and between wall layers, although the idea is interesting. I can see applications where their Quiet Rock/Wood would be useful, provided the material can be safely hung with their QuietGlue without screwing or nailing it to the wall, such as possibly over a strong and secure existing wall.

The other thing that is important to consider here is that they are talking about STC ratings. STC stands for Sound Transmission Class. This is not the same thing as a Noise Reduction Coefficient (NRC), or absorption coefficient, or other, typically older standards of sound transmission class such as TL (average Transmission Loss). STC, like NRC NUMBER ratings are an AVERAGE of the transmission loss PERFORMANCE of a wall or floor at all TEST FREQUENCIES. An STC rating, unlike NRC, is usually a rating that applies to a construction system, such as wood wall studs, ½ drywall on two sides, R19 fiberglass insulation in between. Its not a sound transmission reduction rating of the product itself.