*Grille Wanted for Cornwall!*

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted - I moved into an apartment in Shawnee and don't have internet access there, I'm posting from my parent's place.

Anyway, I'm looking for a grille for one of my 1981 Cornwalls. The velcro was bad and it fell off and was laying face down on the floor and I stepped on it. The lights were out and I was coming in with my big clunky boots and stepped right on the masonite and before I knew it *CRUNCH* *cringes*. It's wrecked man, even bent up the poor Klipsch logo8.gif

So I have one speaker open and one grilled. They're black speakers with black grilles. If I can find one black grille that would be awesome, otherwise if it's a different color I'd have to replace them both. I lvoe the speakers, use them every day! I had thought of doing a lighter (cream/tan/beige type thing) so I dunno. Anyone know where to get grilles? The fabric has a hole in it at one point (cat) so I really need the whole thing, masonite and fabric.

Any help anyone might have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jon

----------------

On 10/6/2004 9:13:41 PM garymd wrote:

They're pretty easy to make. Wendell Fabrics supposedly has the cloth (or close) and masonite and velcro can be bought at Home Depot. Logos are still available from klipsch for about $2.50 each and you can use your existing grill as a template.

----------------

Unless they are JBL logos Insane, huh? I have about four of five of these lying around. That could make for a few nights out with the family WITH dessert and coffee.

Things aren't as bad as they seem. Here's what I did when I couldn't find a pair of Cornwall grilles.

For the black grille cloth, call Dura Crest Fabrics, Inc. (708) 344-4900 and ask for Ralph. He sent me a sample of their #17 black, and it was EXACTLY like the black Heritage grille cloth, just as he said it would be. Dura Crest used to supply the grilles to Klipsch & Associates. They have other colors as well, but I know the #17 black is the genuine article. Make sure you say "Heritage." The #17 black was $12.00 per yard; it's 54" wide, so one yard will do two Cornwall grilles. You can try other places, but they'll cost more and you may or may not get an exact match to the other grille cloth.

Hopefully, you haven't thrown away the broken Masonite frame. Buy another thin piece of Masonite at Home Depot or Lowe's and use the old frame to trace the size and shape of the holes for the drivers. If you've already tossed the broken frame, just measure carefully for a new frame, especially the critical outside dimensions--too small and the frame looks goofy, too large and it won't fit in the opening. After you've cut--carefully and accurately--the frame and driver holes to the right size and shape, just paint the front of the frame flat black and glue the cloth to the frame on the back side only, not the front, painted side. Don't get any adhesive on the painted side, or it will show through the cloth. The cloth will sag just a little in front when you're finished, but you can cure that by shrinking the cloth slightly with a hair dryer or a heat gun CAREFULLY applied. If you get too aggressive with a heat gun, you'll melt the cloth, which is actually plastic. The cloth will shrink slightly and conform to the frame beautifully. If you take your time and are careful, you can make a grille that looks exactly like the the original, except better.

Good luck, and, uh, watch your step.

Hey Fini,

Thanks for the Grill-A-Corn picture, helps lighten things up. I appreciate the help from everyone. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do anything yet, just haven't had the time! So right now I have one on, one off, suppose I oughta just take the other one off so they're the same but I haven't, I'm worried the cat'll scratch the woofer (she's only 6 months old and crazy as a loon). Right now I slide a empty computer case in front of the uncovered speaker when I'm not around so she can't get at it. I've thought of maybe doing a tan/cane grille for them if I can find it?

I've never actually seen her scratch at the naked woofer, just taking precautions, because it only takes one time! LOL. Then I'd be out $129.

I love the speakers, and I love the cat, so I just have to make things work.

On another note, I have a heathkit tube integrated amp that I've had for years, just needs to be recapped, and a buddy of mine is willing to do it so I should be able to eventually hear them with tube for the first time, it has 2 EL-84s per side/ around 12-15 watts per channel. Plenty really. Should be nice

-Jon

Jon

While we're at it, I'd like to totally rebuild my Corns this winter. New veneer, xovers, the works. Does anyone (hdbldr) have any info on what different types of veneer/grille combinations were available for the Cornwall. I'd like to get a bit modern, maybe Zebrawood/cane grilles for my 1950's tres-moderne house, but don't want to stray too much from factory types.

Thanks,

Michael

Hey Jon,

I'm going to be doing a complete rebuild on my Corns this winter. If ya can hold out a couple of months, I'll carve ya another grille board while I'm at it. (yer on yer own for fabric though, ok?). I'm thinking maybe you don't have access to woodworking tools, but it's no big deal to make an extra while I'm at it.

Please measure yours, both the h&w inside the cabinet recess, and the position of the drivers and ports, in case it's different than my 74's and email me. I'm looking at maybe doing a cane treatment and will keep my original black ones back, just in case I EVER resell.

Michael

Hey Michael,

You are correct, I don't have access to woodworking tools, lol. I would definetly be interested in taking you up on the board offer. I can take care of the fabric, that's no problem. I don't mind waiting, I'm in no hurry, the speakers are here to stay. I'm not at home at the momemnt, but I'll measure the broken board, and give you all the distances you need. I suspect they'd be the same as your 74s but I'll check anyway. Whatever it costs, let me know.

Thanks a lot man!

Jon

No problemo Bro! Just be patient as I'm still moving into new home. May be a couple of months before I get into my rebuild. Send your dimensions and I'll keep it and do the new grille boards first. I just got thinking, how much would it be to ship something this large? We should check into that also. I'm here in INdy.