Do JBL speakers compare....

christjared

Our college has some EAWs. Some of our student A/V workers have put so much power to them that they told me you could smell the overheated voice coils. I replied that they should be fired for doing that (I got excuses back from them). I think they were using a Crown of very high output power, but we have a lot of different amps so I can't remember for sure which model. What we have tried to do is have more full time staff to handle or at least supervise the events, but staff obviously get paid more than student workers. TheEAWs are too heavy. We also have some newer Yamaha gear that works very well.

The LS may have originally been designed for a P.A., but P.A. systems of 40 years ago are a far cry from what is demanded today. The new JBL Pro gear is very good.

Marvel

"The LS may have originally been designed for a P.A., but P.A. systems of 40 years ago are a far cry from what is demanded today."

This is a weak argument in my opinion and I've heard the rational behind it used many times before by people knocking the entire Heritage line, most notably the Khorn. They usually say something like this: "The khorn is over 50 years old. So many things have changed since then. The Khorn is an anachronism."

I'm not placing you in that category mind you, but your agument is based on the same flawed (in my view) idea.

Are you saying that an insanely dynamic speaker that puts out 104db with 1 watt and has a super-tight and lightening-fast bass response is not needed in today's PA sytems???

Outside of the somebody not liking the La Scala's overall sound (which is subjective I'll grant), the only other stone you can throw at it would be that it rolls off at 53hz.

H2guy---A flaw in the LS as a PA speaker is that it made no attempt at controlled coverage. PWK simply put a Khorn with a shorter basshorn in a utility box and called it a PA speaker. It doesn't appear that much effort or research was involved.

Coverage is pretty willy-nilly. It may work and it may not.

Compare that with the VOTs which even in 1945 were giving controlled coverage from 100-200hz on up.

Note that KLipsch in their pro line has moved away from the LaScala idea and on to constant coverage.

I'm surprised that the fellas here aren't interested in the Klipsch pro gear. If I were going to do a modern Klipsch speaker system for the home I'd be looking at the pro gear.

Tom, I just went to jblpro's website to check it out, downloaded the progressive transition wave guide white paper as well...could be fun to play with the mid and high combo...wonder what they cost? (obivously new used market yet for these) regards, tony

Heresy2guy-

This was not a complaint against the LS. Not even a complaint against what real P.A. gear did in those days. Perhaps you didn't read all of my statement. We demand way more of a P.A. system now than we did then, i.e., bands used to fill the room with their own onstage amplifiers. A small mix of instruments and the vocals went to the P.A. For most now, the onstage amps are used only for their tone, and everything goes through the P.A.

There was equipment that could handle those things in the past, at the volumes required. It was made by JBL and Altec, and not Klipsch. The new Klipsch Pro gear is way more competitive now.

Don't give me crap about the LS. I would have a pair if I had the room. I am not knocking any Heritage model, but they aren't P.A. systems, even if they have been used for that purpose (and I have used some clones built by djk -- they worked great for our use).

Marvel

I had a pair of JBL S412P floor standing speakers and really liked the way they sounded. This speaker was part of the Studio Series and is no longer made. It had 4 drivers and a built in 200 watt amp dedicated to the 12" bass driver.

Due to lighting damage (loss the 200 amps) I replaced them with RF-7's.

The RF-7's definately play louder but the S412P's seem to have a smoother overall sound. Maybe because of the amps?

Jack,

Something that I didn't post earlier, but thought might be a factor was the direct radiators for my JBLs. Did yours have horns in them? I'm thinking the horns seem a bit more immediate, and may therefore not sound as smooth.

Marvel

No, the JBL S412P doesn't have a horn. According to the spec sheet it has:

1" Pure-titanium dome (High frequency driver)

4" PolyPlas cone (Midrange transducer)

6" Polyplas cone (Midbass transducer)

12" Polyplas cone (Low-frequency transducer with 200 watt amp)