One big SVS or two small(er) ones?

drdiaboloco

Here's food for thought...

Two of the new PB10-ISD's or one PB12-ISD/2?

I have a room that's 3000cuft, but on one end of the room's back wall it exits into a completely open 8X8 opening into the dining room, and the other end of the back wall exits into the stairs going up to the second floor, with an 18' ceiling over the stairs...

I'm thinking perhaps two of the newer, smaller subs would even out the very weird room response (and bass 'leakage') I will get with a single sub.

Thoughts? Not to mention that the two subs will be less than that one big bruiser, at least before shipping is taken into account.

I would go with the PB12-ISD/2 for the max SPL benefit it will have, and it will be able to play deeper than the PB10's. With that large of a room I would go the PB12-ISD/2. That's just my opinion, you should email Ron or Tom as see what they think.

The PB10 is no slouch, but I think your room may be too large for it to really meet your needs.

No, get a PB12-Anything/2 for sure in that room. The smaller SVS's are really for smaller rooms (all SVS's sound about the same but you will need a bigger SVS to fill a bigger room. You will need dual 12's to fill that room for sure or maybe a single Ultra. SVS is so deep, placement is not too important. But if you really REALLY must have two subs, grab a pair of CS-Plus's or ISD's with an external amp.

How about I just get myself adopted by the other poster who claims to have THREE RSW-15's? I can't even afford ONE!

I thought maybe the two 10's would be easier to place, too, than the one 12. If you compute the displacement of each individual sub, the two 10's are about 90% the size of the 12... And the total amp power is the same.

I was also worried about the sonic hole that the large openings in the back of the room leave, and maybe two sources would be better than one.

Either way... Maybe I'll make sure I've paid my mortgage before I drop another grand. :)

----------------

On 10/12/2004 12:24:36 PM pinipig523 wrote:

It doesnt matter how powerful the sub is, but placement of ANY sub (sunfire, klipsch, svs, velodyne) is very important.

----------------

Yup... i second that. And the gist of two versus one sub is:

- 1 subwoofer (or 2 in same spot): placement involves finding the spot with the greatest output or flattest response (or a compromise between the two)

- 2 subwoofers in different places: Placement also involves optimizing response... but the major difference you have the added challenge of avoiding cancellations between the two units which will worsen their FR curve. The benefit is that you can use these cancellations to balance out the same responses by cancelling out some peaks and filling in some of the nulls. Not an easy task for most people... as it will require detailed room analysis or lots of trial and error. But it is added flexibility.

My opinion is that a majority of people will be better served by one sub location rather that two subs placed in different locations Optimum locations are rarely décor or spouse friendly...

Rob

----------------

On 10/12/2004 11:54:21 AM drdiaboloco wrote:

I thought maybe the two 10's would be easier to place, too, than the one 12. If you compute the displacement of each individual sub, the two 10's are about 90% the size of the 12... And the total amp power is the same.

I was also worried about the sonic hole that the large openings in the back of the room leave, and maybe two sources would be better than one.

Either way... Maybe I'll make sure I've paid my mortgage before I drop another grand.
:)

----------------

To be honest, the big "hole" in your back wall is actually more beneficial to your bass response than anything else. The biggest issue in a normal rectangular room is the reflected sound cancelling out the original sound. With your back wall open, there is one whole dimension (the depth) that is no longer reflecting sound. Additionally, the absence of a back wall also improves your overall clarity.

Anyways, I personally am a fan of using 2 subwoofers. You're not supposed to be able to localize frequencies below 80Hz, but I'm starting to notice more and more that I can. It's not as big of a deal for movies as it is for music. 2 subs when properly installed will provide a flatter frequency response, but it does take some work and a "screw you" attitude to the WAF 2.gif (yes i know that it's easier for a single guy to say that)

However, the problem with using 2 subs is that it costs twice as much money. In a situation such as yours where money is an issue, purchasing one better sub generally gives you more SPL and a lower frequency response for the money (as already mentioned).

On another personal issue, I don't like the idea of installing a subwoofer that is any smaller in diameter than 12 inches (i even have problems with 12" subs). The reason is that the smaller the diameter, the more the diaphragm has to move. The more the diaphgram moves, the more distortion. I am yet to purchase a sub (I have a hard time justifying spending over $1k to get bass below 30Hz where my mains cut off slowly), but I can't imagine I'll ever buy anything less than 18 inches 10.gif

----------------

On 10/12/2004 10:23:21 PM DrWho wrote:

With your back wall open, there is one whole dimension (the depth) that is no longer reflecting sound. ...

----------------

Actually it's still reflecting sound as i doubt it's open to the out-doors... 3.gif but he does partially benefit from the increased depth of the adjoining room. As you already know (but I'm posting to insure others get the drift), the larger dimension lowers the frequency at which main room resonance occurs.

----------------

... 2 subs when properly installed will provide a flatter frequency response, but it does take some work and a "screw you" attitude to the WAF
2.gif
(yes i know that it's easier for a single guy to say that)

----------------

Yes, very easy to say... but very hard to execute if the room serves multiple purposes. 2.gif

Later...

Rob