now which spkrs ?

mburgaleta

Hello everyone! Just found this sight and liked some of the comments. I am trying to build a DESCENT home audio system and would like to hear suggestions and reasons for main speaker choices. I am looking for a set that will be good for theatre but still provide BIG speaker sound for stereo and CD play. I have recently purchased a Mitsubishi WS-55807 and opted for a Denon 3801 to anchor this system. I bought a JBL PB-12 sub 'cause I thought $290 was a good deal. I have listened to pairs of RF-5's and RF-7's. I seem to get the impression these may not be well thought of. I know I will get a range of opinions but appreciate all. Thanks, MB

I'd really try to find the Legend KLF 10,20 or 30's and the C7 they'll fit the bill and your wallet since they are on the way out!

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built

This message has been edited by JTS8 on 08-01-2001 at 08:31 AM

I can't comment on the latest Klipsch line as all I've ever heard is the heritage series.

For my money the Cornwall is VERY hard to beat at any price with any speaker. That is, of course, with proper amplification. The wrong amp = harsh upper end, the correct amp (Marantz SR 8000) is magic (pure magic). It seems to me the Denon line might also be a very fine match but I can't say that from experience.

Cornwalls will give you that dynamic lively soundstage with miniscule amounts of power, are versatile for placement and have a very capable lower end unlike the LaScala which requires a sub (a very fine speaker none the less).

Do the research prior to making a move and if possible try to hear a good setup. This will be difficult as the cornwall was discontinued some years ago. The sound is truly timeless. They are, however, quite large and heavy so you'll need a decent sized room and be prepared for the shipping charges.

Have fun & good luck.

The important thing is what did you think of them. You will hear different things about the new line here because some people do not particularly like the reference line for various reason, ie, copper colored cones, 2-way design. The important thing is to find the sound you like and hope it is within your price range.

I heard the RF7 and liked it a lot. To each his own.

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Infinity Reference 1 Surrounds

Sony DB830

MB- Great move on choosing the 3801 - you'll like it a lot.

For speakers, I believe that pound-for-pound you won't find a better speaker value than Klipsch. They have a great "live" sound that us fans really like, and sound better than speakers costing 50-100% more. Go to an authorized Klipsch dealer and listen to the variety, and you'll get an idea of what fits your personal taste and budget. The RF-5/7 are great speakers, but that's very subjective.

Some of us are also fans of the older Klipsch models, which are discontinued. You can find them at great prices in the used channels (Ebay, Audiogon, Yahoo classifieds, etc...). However, going that route takes more patience -- you have to piece your system together from what you can find used, unlike buying a nice, new crisp setup with all the matching parts in one place. For me, that's the fun - kind of like a hobby.

Take your time, enjoy the Klipsch walk, and ask all the questions you want. We are generally a pretty decent bunch, with an occassional outburst of hostility (kidding)! We can also help you more if we know your budget, room size, and distance to the nearest neighbor cwm2.gif

DD

Thanks for the replies!! As for room size it is not ideal. I am in an apartment currently with about 15' x 20'. Having just bought the t.v, receiver, prog. scan DVD, and sub in the last 2 mo. money is getting tight. May actually have to go to work (lol). Plan on getting married in the Spring and KNOW I need to spend the bucks while they are mine. the Kenwood 1090's actually sound good and take all the Denon (which I LOVE)will push. It's just they don't look so good. Champange tastes and moonshine budget. I am still listening to suggestions. PEACE,

MB

Mitsubishi WS-55807

Denon AVR 3801 again I LOVE IT!!!!

Toshiba SD 6200

Kenwoods JL 1090av (for now)

JBL PB-12 sub

If you are still shopping, I would definitely go with the Legend series. They have been discontinued and you can get them for 50% off MSRP.

Here are the estimated prices:

Mains: KLF20 - $700-800

Center: KLFC7 - $300-350

Surrounds: RS3 - $400 (there is no Legend surrounds)

These are increidble speakers and I would have gladly paid full price for them. Go and check them out at a dealer, if they still have some, and then check out www.ubid.com and ebay for some great deals. Good luck.