WTB: AV-15 Subwoofer Speaker

D-Rex

I am trying to find an AV-15 subwoofer speaker so I can complete my DIY subwoofer. If anyone knows where I can get one, preferably one for less than retail, I would most appreciate it.

I would consider a 15" Titantic or equivilent if anyone has a spare one.

Thanks,

Dallas

----------------

On 10/25/2004 9:35:53 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Have you looked at the Tempest from Adire? Not a bad woofer for $150. I have one in my DIY sub, and its solid to right at 15 hz. Windows even rattle at 11 hz.

----------------

And what after? The roaches dance at 8Hz

11.gif

BTW any large driver in a large box with proper amplification will make windows rattle with very low freq.

3.gif

----------------

On 10/25/2004 9:35:53 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Have you looked at the Tempest from Adire? Not a bad woofer for $150. I have one in my DIY sub, and its solid to right at 15 hz. Windows even rattle at 11 hz.

----------------

No, I haven't, I have read alot about the Tempest but I was assuming the Titantic or the AV-15 were better subwoofer speakers, greater XMax, etc. I was really wanting the aluminum cone of the AV-15 but I am tired of waiting for a bargain because I want to get this built soon. 5.gif

----------------

On 10/25/2004 9:48:24 PM sfogg wrote:

Another option, if you can find any left, is the JBL Sub1500. Very good 15" driver that works well in smallish sealed enclosures. Revel used them in their Sub15. I have four of them in a pair of sealed subs.

Another driver that I haven't seen to much on yet but that may be interesting is this one:

Shawn

----------------

Bully costs $379 which is a little out of my range... actually alot out of my range. I was hoping for more in the $150 range... But, thanks for providing the option, I certainly like knowing what is available out there.

----------------

On 10/25/2004 10:32:24 PM sfogg wrote:

Still more then $150 but another option that was pretty popular awhile back was the Blueprint drivers.

See:

Good luck,

Shawn

----------------

Yes, I would definitely consider the 15" blueprint! I am just so short on money that I am hoping to find someone willing to part with one of their DIY woofers in a range I can afford. Otherwise, I will probably break down and buy one from an online retailer.

Thanks for your help.

Dallas

I can say that the Blueprint is a pretty good sub. I bought the 15" and am happy with it- even in its test box. It is currently in a ~5.35 cubic foot sonotube tuned to 16Hz or something close to that. The curve is not optimal... it is supposed to be tuned to 20Hz, which really makes things look nicer. Even in the leaky, poorly-tuned box, it still sounds great and is louder than my DPL12 and KSW-12 together- and it can go deeper.

----------------

On 10/25/2004 9:40:46 PM D-Rex wrote:

I have read alot about the Tempest but I was assuming the Titantic or the AV-15 were better subwoofer speakers, greater XMax, etc. I was really wanting the aluminum cone of the AV-15 ...

----------------

Better is a very relative term... depends what you are after. The AV-15 and Titanic require smaller enclosures than the Tempest but trade efficiency to accomplish this. In other words, you get a smaller box, but have to buy more amplification to get a similar result.

Greater Xmax is only relevant if your woofer is reaching it's excursion limit given your amplification, the driver's thermal limit, and the enclosure/alignment you've chosen.

BTW, the aluminum cone is mostly a marketing tool... and ironically I've always preferred the aesthetics of black treated paper cones

Rob

----------------

On 10/27/2004 1:05:53 AM formica wrote:

----------------

On 10/25/2004 9:40:46 PM D-Rex wrote:

I have read alot about the Tempest but I was assuming the Titantic or the AV-15 were better subwoofer speakers, greater XMax, etc. I was really wanting the aluminum cone of the AV-15 ...

----------------

Better is a very relative term... depends what you are after. The AV-15 and Titanic require smaller enclosures than the Tempest but trade efficiency to accomplish this. In other words, you get a smaller box, but have to buy more amplification to get a similar result.

Greater Xmax is only relevant if your woofer is reaching it's excursion limit given your amplification, the driver's thermal limit, and the enclosure/alignment you've chosen.

BTW, the aluminum cone is mostly a marketing tool... and ironically I've always preferred the aesthetics of black treated paper cones

Rob

----------------

I already have the 1000W amp from parts express and I have been told that is too much power for the Tempest. I am planning to build a ported encosure so I do expect it to be pretty good sized.

Anybody know anything about the Eclipse drivers?

Too much power for a Tempest, yet they recommend AV-15... the AV-15 is only rated 500W continuous, Tempest is rated 750WRMS. However, I am sure that the AV-15 can take more than 500W, but still... 1000W will give you a nice overhead for peaks. I am running my PA amp bridged on my 4-ohm Blueprint 1503. It can put out 1100WRMS, the 1503 can take 1000WRMS or so... so all works out well. It rarely sees 50W, though. heh But it's there is I need it- that is the point.

I've never seen anything about Eclipse drivers... are they for car audio? Most agree that car audio woofers should remain in cars... I mostly agree, but say if it models up well, it might just be worth a try.

They are right that the Tempest will bottom out with less power than the AV15... as it is more efficient and has slightly less mechanical excursion. I can bottom out my AV15 with less than 750W in a ported 6ft3 enclosure.

It's biggest drawback of the AV15 versus the Tempest is the lower efficiency... but since you already own the amp... the AV15 will give you a little more output in a smaller box. With a 1000W, excursion and the thermal capacity will be the limiting factors.

The TC built second-run AV15 I have is a nice driver with good build quality to it. I would recommend it again.

Rob

----------------

On 10/28/2004 9:41:19 PM tpg wrote:

Too much power for a Tempest, yet they recommend AV-15... the AV-15 is only rated 500W continuous, Tempest is rated 750WRMS. However, I am sure that the AV-15 can take more than 500W, but still... 1000W will give you a nice overhead for peaks. I am running my PA amp bridged on my 4-ohm Blueprint 1503. It can put out 1100WRMS, the 1503 can take 1000WRMS or so... so all works out well. It rarely sees 50W, though. heh But it's there is I need it- that is the point.

I've never seen anything about Eclipse drivers... are they for car audio? Most agree that car audio woofers should remain in cars... I mostly agree, but say if it models up well, it might just be worth a try.

----------------

Yes, the Eclipse is a car subwoofer but it had a decent Fs (I think around 22) and a hugh XMax. I saw one on Ebay so I thought I would ask, it is above what I wanted to pay now anyway.

I am seriously going to consider a Blueprint. The company that makes the AV-15 says he will receive the parts in late November to have some more AV-15s available in December. I don't really want to wait that long.

Thanks,

Dallas