RAY

dodger

Hello:

EDIT: This is a recommendation for the CD: DUETS, along with my original post. 02/14/2005 END EDIT.

Chance to preview the movie "RAY" - about Ray Charles.

Not one to usually like this type as the actors never get it right - they did this time.

As this is loading so slowly, I will give a full review, but will say if you have the chance to see this, "Uh-HUH."

dodger

I've been a fan of Ray Charles' for a very long time, even as a child. It's still hard for me to believe he his gone now. I am looking forward to seeing this movie and I was surprised to learn the other day that he had been collaborating on the film and that it had been completed just prior ro his death. Considering they used his input, I expect this film to be a fairly geniune look into the man's life. I am thankful that someone had the forethought to make this picture in honor of Mr. Charles.

----------------

On 10/29/2004 4:16:23 PM dodger wrote:

Hello:

Chance to preview the movie "RAY" - about Ray Charles.

Not one to usually like this type as the actors never get it right - they did this time.

As this is loading so slowly, I will give a full review, but will say if you have the chance to see this, "Uh-HUH."

dodger

----------------

Greetings:

As I noted, I usually do not care for this type of movie. Either the actors do NOT look or have the actions of the person portrayed or too much artistic license is taken.

This is not the case with the looks, movements nor does there seem to be too much artistic license. Some drama but that is to be expected.

I found the movie very entertaining and touching to me. I was and am a big fan of Mr. Charles. My luck was actually meeting him in the Atlanta Airport.

There is something special in all of those artists we truly admire - Mr. Charles did overcome blindness (some years of his life, he could see) and racial discrimination. Some of his feeling can be heard in "Georgia." He also had the true desire and ability to entertain.

As I noted, if you have a chance to see this movie, do it. You will not regret it.

dodger

----------------

On 11/1/2004 10:11:30 AM dodger wrote:

As I noted, I usually do not care for this type of movie. Either the actors do NOT look or have the actions of the person portrayed or too much artistic license is taken.

This is not the case with the looks, movements nor does there seem to be too much artistic license. Some drama but that is to be expected.

----------------

I've seen the trailers for this myself. I was skeptical as I never cared much for bio-graphical films for the same reasons stated above. Hoever, what I am starting to read in the movie/entertainment press is that this one is actually quite good, and really does capture Ray Charle's persona, both the good and the bad (heroin addiction, especially). It seems to do a really good job telling the story of his life. It seems that if you are fan of Ray Charle's, this is a must see. And for those that never really was, such as myself, it is being said that this movie is still very much worth seeing. I am certainly intriqued after seeing the trailers.

I probably won't see it at the theater, but opt to see it at home on DVD on my own system. Mostly for the more intimate setting, without the usual movie-theater distractions (people getting in/out of thier seats, children crying, cell-phones, etc). This seems to be a type of movie that would be much more enjoyable that way.

• 3 months later...

As I recommended the Movie, I also re-recommend what probably will not be the last CD released.

But this was the last release that he chose the Musicians and Vocalists to work with.

As Ray says in his liner notes, People he respected. To be respected by Ray Charles is amazing.

The recording quality is superb. His Choices of whom to sing with are the full range in Music.

Of all the great Musicians I have met and/or worked with I've only felt the "I'm meeting a Star," when by chance, I happened to meet The Genius Ray in the Atlanta Airport.

At that point, there was a completely different feeling and almost an aura than I noted. It's odd to describe.

But that CD stands out, both in Musical quality and in Recording Quality. Additionally, it stands out because Mr. Charles chose whom to perform with.

In the other Ray thread, it's noted missing Ray perform America, The Beautiful. They showed a partial clip during the Opening for the Superbowl.

It was partial as Mr. Charles always started with the third verse. That made what is Special, much moreso. It came from his heart. A love for America.

That also came through as Jamie practiced sitting behind Ray to learn his movements. A number don't know that the planning and music/songs were chosen before his passing.

That also was in that ironic way, a Duet. He was a Genius.

His passing still not wanted to be believed.

But Duets shows another side, another point in that Genius.

12.gif8.gif

dodger

saw it last night, evem my 16 year old was enthralled, he kept asking the question; did he do that song too? it made me remember how much effect he had on present day music. and i agree, sometimes when they do this type of movie the actors do not do the subject justice, but jamie fox was perfect, the walk, the gestures, a job well done. ray will be missed

very entertaining and well done, Million Dollar Baby is a lot more powerful, certainly the best of the Oscar contenders that I saw, but Ray deserves something for its excellence, not sure what, best musical, best music, best adaption, best producer (does such a thing exist)?

Finally! Mrs. Picky and I watched 'Ray' last night. Wow! What a powerful story!

If you like Ray Charles' music, this is a must watch. It's a bit long at 2-1/2 hours, but it moves fairly quickly. The sound was interesting as it is fairly primitive in the early parts of the movie and it gains fidelity as the story progresses over the years, much like our technology improved during Ray's climb to stardom. There are some very dark, tragic, scenes in the movie as Ray had made some very poor lifestyle choices along the way (drugs and women).

By the time the movie ends, however, a very glowing image of what Ray eventually came to be is presented. It was easy for us to see why Jamie Foxx was awarded best actor at this year's Oscars. In this film, Jamie Foxx IS Ray Charles!

We both very much enjoyed this movie. It had Mrs. Picky in tears a few times. I will be watching this film again!