M Audio Soundcards

Dflip

----------------

On 11/15/2004 12:09:35 PM neo33 wrote:

"CD sound does not suck!"

IMO, most CDs sound suck!

10,000 engineers and they couldn't figure out how to make a CD sounds better then vinyl! Pretty amazing!

----------------

You obviously have never heard a well recorded CD then. Yes, a lot of CDs suck, but then again a ton of vinyl sucks too. You can't compare the best of one medium to the worst of another. As Griff mentioned, it's all about the producers (not the mixers) wanting to maximize "loudness" as a marketing ploy. Apart from marketing, the loudness is actually a good thing in some ways considering that most people listen to music in their cars and you can't have a large dynamic range when listening there. If car stereos supplied their own compression, then there wouldn't be these dumb debates between mediums when the real issue is between quality of the mix and target audiences.

I think that if you sat yourself in the studio, busted out a perfect mix, and then split the output to record to CD and vinyl at the same time, then I think you'd find that the CD is going to sound better. If you find yourself missing the snap crackle and pop, then just eat a bowl of Rice Krispies.

(That said, I don't want to come across as claiming that vinyl sucks because a short visit to artto's place proved to me that the medium is very capable of extremely convincing playback. CDs just offer so much more without any real compromises)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You obviously have never heard a well recorded CD then. Yes, a lot of CDs suck"

I did say "most" and not "all"!

I have auditioned SACD, HDCD and DVD-Audio. They sounded flat to my ears for the most part. Such characteristic is not presented in my vinyls collection.

Hmmm, is lawn ornament a "name"? How about "crackhead"? How about someone who makes a "blatantly ignorant statement"? Let's see now, was it me calling names? No, reviewing the posts it was a) Dflip B) Nicholtl c) Griffinator.

My advice, if you're going to lie, is don't do it on a forum with the posts available for all to see in black and white.

I love it when an ignoramus calls someone else ignorant. Keep up the good work, Mr. Pro.

I'm sorry Paul, I didn't realize that referring to someone as an ignoramus was not calling them a name. Those would be your exact words copied from your messages. Maybe you should read a little more carefully next time. By the way the tacky lawn ornament would be a troll and a troll's favourite activity is trolling which you have been known to do at times. 2.gif

Griffinator, what do you think about the MOTU 896HD audio interface. I've been using it for almost a year now and to me it does a remarkable job. I've been recording at 24/192 and I haven't had a single stutter, skip or snag with this firewire-based interface. I'm running a dual 2.0 G5 with 1GB ram. Logic Pro 7 and a bunch of outboard synths/drum machines. I'm micing(trying) my Martin and using a POD type of effects box for my Les Paul. I'm actually fixing to try running my guitar through my preamp to the interface and trying out the new guitar line pro(I think that's what it's called) in Logic. It's no guitar rig but I still wanna incorporate it with Logic's own compressors, eqs and effects to see what I can get out of it. I'm also fixing to throw down some buckage for the Native Instruments Komplete package.

----------------

On 11/15/2004 10:03:43 PM synthfreek wrote:

Griffinator, what do you think about the MOTU 896HD audio interface. I've been using it for almost a year now and to me it does a remarkable job. I've been recording at 24/192 and I haven't had a single stutter, skip or snag with this firewire-based interface. I'm running a dual 2.0 G5 with 1GB ram. Logic Pro 7 and a bunch of outboard synths/drum machines. I'm micing(trying) my Martin and using a POD type of effects box for my Les Paul. I'm actually fixing to try running my guitar through my preamp to the interface and trying out the new guitar line pro(I think that's what it's called) in Logic. It's no guitar rig but I still wanna incorporate it with Logic's own compressors, eqs and effects to see what I can get out of it. I'm also fixing to throw down some buckage for the Native Instruments Komplete package.

----------------

Well I've had extensive experience with both the 828mkII and the 896HD interfaces from MOTU and I've been nothing short of impressed. There's a few operational quirks with them, but the sound quality is amazing for the money. Recently, I purchased another 828mkII to go with the other one in my studio hoping to double the amount of inputs (if you use the front two mic pre's and the 8 back channels, you can get 10 inputs). However, the latest operating systems for the Mac divide each individual motu into a seperate core audio device which means you can't use both at the same time. The only work around is to use the optical out from the second one and go into the optical in on the first...which "only" gives me 18 instead of 20 channels.

As far as the digital effects and all that go, I must say that I've been impressed with how well the programmers have been doing. They all still have that digital sound (or should I say lack of analog "warmth), but it is indeed rare that I actually feel the need to go to my outboard gear and use the analog stuff. One thing I've noticed when I go back and listen to older recordings is that I put in way too much of the effects when I was trying to figure out the range of sounds I could get. For whatever reason, I have more trouble getting the digital effects mixed just right than I do with analog effects. I don't know if you'll have the same experiences, but it wouldn't hurt to be conscious of it when you're mixing something of more importance. Also, keep in mind that your digital guitar stuff isn't going to sound the same as a mic'ed amp, so don't destroy your sound trying to make it sound that way.

Thanks for chiming in, Dr Who.

I haven't had any personal experience with the MOTU stuff, simply because up until very recently it was Mac only. I've been looking very hard at the 828, particularly since I finally got around to adding firewire to my venerable old Athlon 2600. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about MOTU's interfaces.

I know a store owner who refuses now to sell MOTU hardware to PC owners. At least the last time I visited with him. He said that MOTU doesn't support the Windows user much at all, and the Windows users keep bringing them back. That may have changed some with XP, as a lot more audio and video works better with the new OS. But you certainly have to tweak the OS to get rid of or turn off all the junk.

The MOTU chips sound good. Another good one is the new Presonus firewire unit. No ADAT inputs though 15.gif so it does me no good to import my ADAT track to my PC. XP only though. Griff, check out the Presonus site and listen to the Tower of Power recorded through the new Firepod. Pretty awsome.

Marvel

I should probably chime in and mention that I'm using a G5 with my motu. All I had to do was plug it in and install the software and it worked. I tried getting the motu to work with a pc in my studio running 98, but I quickly gave up after 2 weeks of trying. I haven't tried it on XP, but I can see it being easier that way because XP gives you full control over all the processes running in the background (you just gotta download the adminstrator stuff from the windows update). Click on start > Run... > and type in "services.msc" and there you'll see the full list. Check out http://www.blackviper.com/ for more info than you've ever needed about the processes behind windows. Here's a direct link for the XP one: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Just more examples as to how software is a huge factor.

Btw, I just wanted to mention that I recommend sound blaster because the software is compatible with everything. The sound quality is far from the best, but it's not awful either. The external one I mentioned earlier uses most all the same circuitry as an internal card I was using. My internal card sounded like crap and when we upgraded to an external card, the external one sounded better...it was only a few months later that I realized how similar the two were.

Also, ignoring differences in sound quality, the external DACs are better because they're portable and it's easier to plug stuff in and out of them. Even at 20 years of age, I hate crawling down under my desk and behind my pc with a flashlight and try to plug everything in.