----------------

On 11/2/2004 9:43:03 AM dodger wrote:

----------------

On 11/2/2004 9:12:23 AM tankhokie wrote:

i just can't wait to hear about:

"HANGING CHADS"

wonder who will screw up this time...ugh

----------------

At least here in my County we have machines that you close the curtain and actual levers that have to be pulled down ALL the way.

The County says they are outdated, but sometimes it's better to be non-cardboard, non-computer. If there is a mistake, the voter made it and after the curtain is opened the vote(s) are registered. Then at the end of the day, themachines are transported back to the Board of Elections with a Representative from each party and a guard - even though they are sealed and can only be opened at the Elections board while being filmed. With all Representatives, the Elections Commissioner and the guard present.

dodger

----------------

In NYS, every city and town I have EVER voted in uses the lever voting machines with the curtain. WTF did they EVER use paper ballots in Florida in the first place? Was the state too poor to buy decent machines? 4 years after the contraversy, they're STILL using paper ballots? What is up with that?

And I'd rather stay with the mechanical voting machines that actually REGISTER a vote, rather than electronic voting, that I feel is too susceptible to problems. Imagine the horror of Microsoft developing the voting software??? 6.gif

----------------

On 11/2/2004 1:48:05 PM Cleve wrote:

----------------

----------------

"HANGING CHADS"

----------------

At least here in my County we have machines that you close the curtain and actual levers that have to be pulled down ALL the way.

The County says they are outdated, but sometimes it's better to be non-cardboard, non-computer. If there is a mistake, the voter made it and after the curtain is opened the vote(s) are registered. Then at the end of the day, themachines are transported back to the Board of Elections with a Representative from each party and a guard - even though they are sealed and can only be opened at the Elections board while being filmed. With all Representatives, the Elections Commissioner and the guard present.

dodger

----------------

In NYS, every city and town I have EVER voted in uses the lever voting machines with the curtain. WTF did they EVER use paper ballots in Florida in the first place? Was the state too poor to buy decent machines? 4 years after the contraversy, they're STILL using paper ballots? What is up with that?

And I'd rather stay with the mechanical voting machines that actually REGISTER a vote, rather than electronic voting, that I feel is too susceptible to problems. Imagine the horror of Microsoft developing the voting software???
6.gif

----------------

Perfectly said.

I am a computer programmer and I think those machines are nearly perfect. Think about it. A computerized state-of-the-art system that some jackass hacked into. Then where the hell would we be. Can you imagine!

Why do they use paper ballots in Florida? I really don't know but a good guess is that some one's brother-in-law got the contract. Isn't that how things are usually decided?

Well, in a few hours I'll be either making a toast from that champaigne I got on ice or just guzzling the whole thing down.

3.gif

----------------

On 11/2/2004 2:50:25 PM stan krajewski wrote:

----------------

On 11/2/2004 1:48:05 PM Cleve wrote:

----------------

----------------

"HANGING CHADS"

----------------

dodger

----------------

And I'd rather stay with the mechanical voting machines that actually REGISTER a vote, rather than electronic voting, that I feel is too susceptible to problems. Imagine the horror of Microsoft developing the voting software???
6.gif

----------------

Perfectly said.

I am a computer programmer and I think those machines are nearly perfect. Think about it. A computerized state-of-the-art system that some jackass hacked into. Then where the hell would we be. Can you imagine!

Why do they use paper ballots in Florida? I really don't know but a good guess is that some one's brother-in-law got the contract. Isn't that how things are usually decided?

Well, in a few hours I'll be either making a toast from that champaigne I got on ice or just guzzling the whole thing down.

3.gif

----------------

Supposedly, they can't get parts for them anymore. They had new levers this morning.

And some tool and die maker can't examine one and make something to keep them going??

What would happen if we went computer and the program failed or we had a power outage?

At least require no electricity, have been around long enough to have paid for themselves and you can prove if someone tampered with one. Maybe that's the point.

dodger - not too cynical