Which Klipsch Speakers would YOU suggest?

Another Woman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I seem to have "won" some Heresy's on eBay. I had made a bid before we started talking about how the Heresy's don't have such good bass...I guess if they want more bass we'll just have to do the subwoofer. I do think my mother would prefer the 21" height of the Heresy over the 35" Forte, or the 39" Chorus. I get the impression that Heresy does a better job with higher end sounds. Is that true?

As for the turntable, we'll have to upgrade later. I seem to be "winning" a Marantz TT 1200 that I bid $9.95 on a few days ago. It looked like it was in good shape. Apparently it is belt driven and from 1981. Does anyone know anything about it?

If the Marantz 2250B receiver didn't arrive today, then it is supposed to arrive on Monday. I have no idea when the Heresy's will get there. As of now they have nothing to connect to the receiver. I guess once the Heresy's get there at least they'll be able to listen to the radio.

The Heresy's are walnut and I think refinishing them might be in order. We'll see once they arrive. I think changing the grill cloth to black would be in order too. After my mom does all that work, she'll definitely be invested in them! I hope they'll like them, and I better be more careful about my bids in the future! I had second thoughts on these, but it was too late.

In terms of speaker wires and cables...in the past I've purchased MCX25 Monster Wire at $2.50 a foot, and XPHPCI Monster Cable at $1.25 per foot. What would you suggest this time? and uh...I've never had a turntable, what kind of cables are they supposed to use to connect the turntable to the receiver...

Thanks, I looked at the "Cleaning Vinyl" thread. I think I need to go back and reread it to figure out which way is both most economical and effective. Interesting photo Jim, what is it?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/ele/47417021.html

Is it against the rules to talk about non Klipsch speakers on the Klipsch forum? I found a pair of Jensen TF-3 speakers on Craig's List for $25. The guy lives in my neighborhood and he says I can come get them tomorrow for the $25. and if I don't like them I can return them in a week and get my money back. They are walnut (my mom's preferred color)and he says he bought them new in 1964.

They are 25 watt speakers with a 10 inch woofer, three mid-range and a sono-dome tweeter.

When they have NO audio equipment I can't go too wrong for $25. can I? I read what some people wrote on-line about them and they seemed to like them quite a bit for these kinds of prices.

post-12968-13819259253088_thumb.jpg

Personally, I think you did very well with the Heresys; I think $250 is a good deal, especially if they're in the condition the seller claims they are. If your mom's handy with woodworking and refinishing, then she could probably clean them up no problem.

Heresys have always been considered high-end loudspeakers; just ask anyone here who owns a pair or more! And if you get the inexpensive sub kit that Erik talked about (or any other comparable subwoofer), then they'll have a first-class audio system!

Any Monster Cable IMO would be fine with the Heresys...I don't think they'll have anything to worry about in that department. As for cables for the turntable, they should already be included (attached), so you won't have to purchase anything extra (I'm not familiar with Marantz's 'tables, but I'm sure they just as good as any other of that vintage).

Check out http://www.eufonious.com/ to read up on the LP cleaning device that clamps onto your LPs to be washed...my brother bought one and he swears it helps!

I don't know anything about removing any stains from the drivers...ask the seller if he knows what caused it. There are others here that know just about anything there is to know about refinishing/restoring drivers and cabinets...hopefully they'll chime in with recommendations.

It's no crime to talk about other manufacturers...we do it all the time with JBL, Altec Lansing, Tannoy, Electro Voice, and Jensen. Who knows, your mom may just fall in love with those vintage '64 model TF-3s, in which case your $25 will be well spent!

Hm, the eufonious looks interesting.

Is there a difference in quality of turntables based on them being old or new? There are some pretty wood turntables from Marantz (6300 and others)in the 70s that my mom likes (well I think they're pretty too.) What kind of quality would they be? Anybody have any idea?

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/6300.html

So, on the back of the Heresys...the thing you stick the speaker wire in (grin)--it must have a name--how big will the hole be? Will speaker wire fit in it, or will my mom need to get one of those special ends to put on the speaker wire? I've never needed those ends for my KG 1.2s or 4.2s, but I had to buy them for my KG 4.0s.

I'm kind of having to try to coach her from afar...I guess that's what you guys are doing with me too.

Thanks...

Tamara

Tamara, I found this description of Jensens for sale on the Oak Tree.com site.........Hope this helps.

JENSEN

TF-3B

STEREO SPEAKERS

Circa 1967-71

FOR SALE

Very nice condition 1968 date coded Jensen 3-way, 4-driver speaker systems. If you like "vintage sound" with lots of wood these might be the speaker for you.

Features from the back panel spec sheet as follows:

"- Exclusive Jensen 10" Super-low resonance "FLEXAIR" woofer (C10PF / C7895) & 220750 date code (1967)

- Carefully correlated Jensen "Bass-Superflex" tube-loaded acoustic enclosure

- Two special 3.5" direct-radiator midrange units for maximum "presence" and freedom from coloration (P35-VAH)

- Unique Jensen "SONO-DOME" Ultra-tweeter with phenolic diaphragm provides reproduction to the upper limits of audibility (E-107432)

- High quality dividing networks to separate the full music range input into segments and direct them to their respective speaker units."

Specifications are:

- 8 ohms

- 25 watts

- Frequency response - "25 Hz-beyond the range of audibility"

- X-over points 2K and 10K

- Woofer resonance 30 Hz

These are nice "vintage" sounding speakers with good bass response and not as much midrange "honk" as most "vintage" sounding speakers. With the exception of missing the small front logos and very minor normal wear the speakers are in great shape. Very solidly built with Real Walnut wood veneer grill fascias. The main cabinets are Walnut finish wood grain vinyl wrap. Each grill fascia just had a fresh coat of lemon oil. The original speaker grill cloth is also in great shape. We have completely tested them including sweeping them with an audio generator looking for any acoustical anomalies or extraneous noises or sounds. They work and look great! Each measures " 23.75" high x 13.5" wide x 11.5" deep and weighs 35 lbs unpacked. Includes our standard 30 day limited warranty ( excluding problems due to under / over powering).

Cond. 8.5

JENSEN TF-3B

$249. pair

Tamara,

Here is a picture of the Jensens. Good Luck.

Congrats on the Heresy's. That was a good deal, and they look to be very clean.

Also-you didn't Mess up. You could sell these tomorrow - and get back + more than what you paid for them...............

post-4626-13819259253748_thumb.jpg

They are very nice Heresy's. I like the finish. The veneer will scrub up very nicely. The grill cloth could be changed for black. It makes the Heresy look much more contemporary. I also like the sound of the Heresy's. Many people are turned away from the Heresy's because of the alleged difficiency in the bass. Maybe they don't go that low, but they certainly make up for this in other aspects of their sound - clarity, dynamics and accurate tonal quality. Some people suggest that the Heresy's should be used with an angled riser close to the floor, rather than on stands. This helps fill out the bass. If you use them with a subwoofer, then this will not be an issue.

Hey, thanks for the Jensen info, it's interesting. The ones I can get are the TF-3 rather than the TF-3B and the pictures do look different. I wonder if they sound similar, I would imagine they must. Are they selling those CURRENTLY for $249. a pair? If so, then $25. looks to be a good deal. I think the ones I would get are all walnut veneer, no vinyl. Do you want to know what I think of them after I get them tomorrow or Monday?

I'm glad you guys think I did ok on the Heresy's...

post-12968-13819259253868_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, I meant to tell you that the risers are supposed to come with them, even though they didn't show them in the pictures. Are they enough to raise them up properly? I think to start with we won't have a subwoofer. I want them to listen to them alone and see what they think, and then maybe we'll order that kit Erik talked about. Is that the best subwoofer value for the money? As I recall, on that website there were three kinds of subwoofers: Dayton Audio, MTX Audio, and the Titanic MKIII. It seemed Erik was suggesting the MKIII kit. Is it the better value for the money? Would I want one too?

Great!

I think your mom is in for a treat, Tamara. The Heresys (ies?) are really great, and you might want to compare them with what you have now just for fun, interest, etc.

As for speaker wire or cable, I guess I would say the KIND you use, providing it is heavy enough if the speakers are positioned sort of far from the receiver, is not as important as it is that they are connected correctly. There is a certain 'polarity' or phasing associated with the speaker connection, but it's simple to do. The speaker cable will be coded in one way or another, and all you have to do is make sure that the same side of the cable that is connected to the positive (usually red)terminal on the receiver is connected to the red binding post on the speaker. If you get that backwards the speaker will be 'out of phase,' meaning that the woofer will be moving inward in response to the received signal instead of outward; and this will strongly limit the bass response.

You will find perfectly good speaker cable at Radio Shack, and you can get 50 feet of 14 AWG or 16 AWG for.....however much it costs!6.gif I can't remember!

Those two (your mom and her friend) might want to try the speakers as they are first without the addition of a subwoofer, but keep it in mind as something that can be purchased if needed. I think with the smaller Heresys, a sub will be lots of fun. There are many here who even use one with Klipschorns, which I don't. Compared to my former 'reference' speakers (which are as fast as lightening but have very little information below maybe 60Hz), the Klipschorns are incredible in the bass dept. It's the one characteristic about our earlier speakers, which we still use, that my wife thought was lacking; and she has been right! Klipschorns (as well as many of the other Heritage models) also have what we often refer to as 'hair trigger sensitivity', but they also have IMO really nice bass response.

Good job on your new purchase!

Erik

----------------

On 11/7/2004 6:25:04 AM Another Woman wrote:

Oh yeah, I meant to tell you that the risers are supposed to come with them, even though they didn't show them in the pictures. Are they enough to raise them up properly?

----------------

I was glad to hear about the risers. If they are the slanted variety, it will help get the midrange and tweeter frequencies up into the middle of the room at ear level (high freq is very directional). This is a good deal for you. Be sure you have lots of separation between the speakers, and if you do a sub, be sure it is in or near a room corner.

Do a search on the 2-channel about refinishing. There is a lot of info available. Here is a clip from an old, old post, but I think it gives you an idea (he was refinishing his Cornwalls).

-------------------------------

If the cabinet veneer looks rough, you can take some Danish oil, mix it with Minwax Dark Walnut stain (50/50), and buff into the veneer with #0000 fine steel wool (use light, quick strokes in direction of grain), then buff heavily with an old bath towel, then let dry.

Couple of hints 1) do one side at a time and make sure the side facing up when you're working on it, 2)use the #0000 steel wool only soaked with the stain/oil, not dry. Dry steel wool will give off steel fibers which could work their way into the magnet assemblies of the drivers. Remove all remnants of steel wool from the cabinets not forgetting the corners! You can even masking tape some packaging paper over the driver openings to be sure. Make sure grill cloths are off for procedure as they can pick up steel wool fibers.

Grill cloths can be cleaned up with upholstery cleaner and a soft brush. If pretty fuzzy, the grills can be shaved with one of those electric fabric shaver things available at drug stores or Wal-Mart. The grills will have a crisp, new look after a good shave (kind of like me).

I did the above procedures on my brothers Cornwalls and they went from a bit of a disappointment to absolutely beautiful. His walnut veneer looks almost like rosewood. Grills are crisp and new looking too. A lot of elbow grease, but well worth it. I cannot overemphasize how good they look.

One last thing. Although I strongly believe in my tried and true clean up methods. You do these at your own risk, do a test patch, don't get it on the carpet, don't use too much pressure, and use common sense. My apologies for stating the obvious.

Congrats on the Cornwalls.

---------------------------------

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Tamara:

The sub kit I mentioned will probably adequate. It's true that some subwoofer systems use a second, often 'passive' speaker and enclosure, but most single active subwoofers have dual voice coils and take care of the entire low end. Lower frequencies are also sometimes described as non-directional or omni-directional, meaning that placement is important but not as critical as the main speakers.

A 10" sub in a good enclosure could sound just perfect, and provide virtually all the low-end reponse one would find in the majority of available recordings. In a situation where very loud and rib-rattling sound effects were the objective, a larger and more powerful sub might be in order.

I built a pair of speakers using a 6.5" mid-bass driver, installed it in a tuned, rear-vented bass reflex box, and the bass we get from them is really strange in terms of performance -- it sounds like a MUCH larger woofer is being used. The size of the speaker is only a part of the story, in other words. I also chose the one for which I provided the link because of cost. It's really easy to spend much, much, MUCH more, and sometimes the investment will really pay off in terms of better performance, but not always. But sure! if very deep and loud response is needed/wanted, one of the other kits from Parts Express could be great! (I almost wish we didn't start talking about this, because now I'm getting interested in this, too!) The person who designed those kits is also a well-respected loudspeaker designer. I have a couple of his books.

Erik

The Parts Express Warehouse is less than 20 minutes from me, so I've had plenty of opportunities to hear the various kits they offer. I think most of you would be astonished at how good they all sound -- I know I was when I first started listening to them. In fact, it can be a little depressing.

A pair of speakers like below can be had for less than $500.00, and if you mate them with the 12" Dayton Titanic III -- you have a total investment of less than $1200 -- and it's serious performance for the money.

302-942m.jpg

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=209

Their speaker/subwoofer kits have really improved over the past few years (and my bros and I are pleased with our Parts Express/Dayton Audio purchases)...Dean, I hope this doesn't mean you're considering ditching your Klipschorns for this bookshelf kit!6.gif

I already e-mailed the info on fixing up the cabinets to my mother. Thanks! It looks really helpful and like it would be a lot easier than actually refinishing them down to bare wood.

The subwoofers...the 10" Dayton Audio is $124.88, the 10" Titanic MKIII Kit is $349.80, and the 12" Titanic MKIII Kit is $536.70. That's a big price spread. With those price differences I would imagine they could afford to end up with the 10" Dayton Audio sooner than they would get the 12" Titanic...is there a big difference in sound. Which one makes the most sense?

And where in the world does the subwoofer connect to the Marantz 2250B, or to my receiver for that matter?

It's merely a question of how big your room is and how loud you want to go. I would personally at least go for the 12", since it will reach higher levels with less distortion than the 10". If you want concert level -- better go with the 15".