Please help - Need Information and opinions on Cornwall's

Hey guys I have a chance to pick up a pair of Cornwalls Type C-BR's and I have some questions.

1) First what does the model number signify?

2) I think that these are II's and not I's is there anyway to know for sure and what is the difference? If they are II's are they still worth getting?

3) I currently have the R*-3 setup for HT in my house would the Cornwall's be a good match with the RS-3's and RC-3? Meaning of course I would replace the almost brandy new RF-3's and then have to decide what to do with them and the KG4's.

4) What would be a reasonable price for these speakers?

I need to say that I have not ever heard Cornwall's before (I got into Klipsch with the KG4's) and these speakers are currently not hooked up (being that they are in someone's basement collecting dust at the moment). They have not been used in awhile but everyone's recollection is that they still work and the only reason that they are not being used is that they are too big. So open up the floodgates guys and let me know what ya all think.

Thanks!

------------------

HT -

RF-3's

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

Advent Powered Sub

Harman Kardon AVR 510

PC -

ProMedia 4.1

Bedroom -

KG4's

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

The model's 3 digits each stand for something. The first character signifies the type of speaker (C=Cornwall, H=Heresy etc.) The secend digit signifies the type of wood (W=Walnut, B=Birch, O=Oak etc.). Finally the last digit signifies the type of finish (R=Raw, O=Oil, P=Paint etc.).

There are actually two vintages of Cornwall 11's. The earlier 11's, which they stopped manufacturing in the early 1970's, differed from the Cornwall 1's only in that the tweeter & midrange were mounted vertically instead of horizontally. In the mid '80s Klipcsh changed the drivers in the cornwall from metal to plastic horns, changed the crossovers and mounted the drivers from the outside instead of the inside of the enclosure. These are generally what people are referring to when they talk about Cornwall ll's.

You can tell what year they were manufactured by the serial number. That info along with the physical characteristics should make it easy to determine if they're Early Cornwall ll', Later Cornwall ll's or Cornwall 1's.

The alpha character in the serial number denotes the year of manufacture and is as follows:

1962 A

1963 B

1964 C

1965 D

1966 E

1967 F

1968 G

1969 H

1970 I

1971 J

1972 K

1973 L

1974 M

1975 N

1976 P

1977 R

1978 S

1979 T

1980 U

1981 W

1982 X

1983 Y

I believe that after 1983 the first two characters of the serial, which are numeric, define the year built.

The Cornwall is argueably the best speaker Klipsch ever produced (for the money). Good bottom end and no restrictions on placement. It uses the same drivers as the flagship Klipshorn. Of course, as with any horn loaded speaker, they require proper amplification. If the amp is right, these are incredible speakers. If it's wrong they will sound harsh. IMHO, the KG4's simply are not in the same league. Keep in mind these are large heavy speakers (over 100 pounds each) and you won't want to put them in a bedroom or other small space.

Cornwalls will make great mains in a HT setup. The Heresy is a perfect match for centre and surrounds. Cornwall ll's should go with heresy ll's and 1's with 1's to accomplish a near perfect tonal match (is tonal a word?).

Cornwall l vs, Cornwall ll ('80's version)? Both are excellant. I'm biased towards the 1's with the metal drivers.

Buy a set of Cornwalls and enjoy them for a lifetime. You can pass them on to your children and they can do the same. They are timeless kickass speakers. Have fun and good luck.

If you have not heard a pair of Cornwalls, you are in for a treat. Do a search on this bulletin board for "Cornwalls." You'll find tons of info and quickly see that everyone loves their Cornwalls - I can't recall seeing any complaints about this speaker here (of course, there's one in every crowd if you look hard enough). The Cornwall has a well balanced sound that seems to do everything well. Amplification is indeed important, but since these speakers represent an easy load on an amplifer, they are reasonably forgiving. I have used various solid state and tube devices and they all sounded have quite good (especially when compared to other speaker systems). My particular Cornwalls are the I's and have a smooth, clear, crisp, dynamic, punchy, somewhat midrange foward, almost mellow in the highs type sound. Bass is great, but not quite up to the super punchy low end of the mighty Klipschorns. Anyway, enough rambling, I think you'll be happy with a pair of Cornwalls.

KG

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot. These babies will also CRANK.

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 08-03-2001 at 03:12 PM

If you think the KG4's are too big, the Cornwalls are even bigger. So if you don't have room for the KG4's you will definately not have the room for the Cornwalls. Pity too, they are a great speaker. Just thought I would mention this as it was not previously stated. cwm1.gif

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (LF/RF) (LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback - Walnut)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane Grills)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & ESS Mini Monitors (Walnut))

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DDLinear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-303RA Satellite Receiver

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) (1-LC) (1-RC)

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE - ARS Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers

GE 20" Television

All things being equal, EQ... you are sure to enjoy the great Klipsch Sound ala Cornwall.

Originally, the Cornwalls have a white piece of paper on the back... and if it says just "Cornwall" you have a one. The serial numbers are stamped into the wood in the midline of the back. If the woofer and horns are mounted to the inside, they are Cornwall I, if you can see the flange and screw on the outside of the motor board, then they are Cornwall II. Mine (which are Cornwall I's, also have three vents on the bottom of the motor board.

I paid $520 for a walnut pair in excellent shape just last month... and now they are the stars of the downstairs music room and think tank. There have been people on this board who have gone over $1,000 a pair and been happy... but most bring closer to $750 if memory serves.

Cornwalls have brought much happiness to board members... research some old threads... and enjoy them if you can! cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

EQ, i do love my cornwall I ('84) even if they're now relegated to the rear of the room (only because it's the only place they fit). otherwise they would be up front w/ the c-7 as center.

i did have rf-3 & rc-3 in front w/ the rear corns for a short while. though the corns were ok as rears for them, sorry but don't think the rc-3 will match well at all w/ them as fronts. assuming u have I's , for center you'd want in order imo 1) a single cornwall I then II 2) a heresy I then II 3) a klf c7

think you'd be ok w/ the rs-3 as surrounds though you could do better there2. there again cornwall or heresy, but maybe u prefer the wdst like the rs.

rc-7 maybe?

it's up to your ears & wallet. cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-03-2001 at 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I did as you all suggested and browsed the forum. The Cornwall's certainly seem like awsome speakers and at $500 much too good of a deal to pass up.

Now my only problem will be where to put them but I have several large rooms so I will figure something out. I was thinking of dusting off my Dad's old Fisher 800C tube receiver and making a true "vintage" system. I an going try running the second zone line level output of my HK into the AUX in on the Fisher. I think it should sound awsome! I seem to recall that the Fisher puts out 75 watts per channel or so it should make the Cornwall's rock.

Sigh..my SVS 20-39 is coming on Wen. That in addition to the Cornwall's rocking will certainly make my neighbors hate me. Oh well they will have to stay and enjoy the sound :-)

------------------

HT -

RF-3's

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

Advent Powered Sub

Harman Kardon AVR 510

PC -

ProMedia 4.1

Bedroom -

KG4's

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII